1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no boot to desktop LOCKED UP!!!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Becavt, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Becavt

Becavt Thread Starter

I started by putting 2gb of pc2-8500 to make it 4gigs in my new custum biult computer. the computer would only show a black screen I then took out a 1gb stick it went thru post and windows logo then shut down and restarted and did this a couple of times. I then turned of the computer and turned it on and thats when i got a screen that said there was a problem with hardware or software and the computer had to shut down I don't know whats going on I heard from someone it could be a windows OS thing going on I don't think it is a hardware problem. my custom biuld is evga nforce 750i FTW motherboard, thermaltake purepower 500w, ocz 1066mhz ddr2 4gb ram,western digital green power 500gb, lite-on dvd-+rw drive,two bfgtech 9600GT OC in SLI,antec 300 case.

2. new tech guy

new tech guy

Sounds like there is possibly a bad stick of ram somewhere. I would really take out all of the RAM and try to run the computer on each stick of RAM independently until you hit one stick or sticks that it will not run on. At that point those sticks are bad. If they all boot, this is a little time consuming but i would run memtest 86 on each stick then to ensure the integrity of the sticks. Only thing that can explain the system not posting. Also make sure the machine's cooling fans are working properly.

3. Becavt

Becavt Thread Starter

I have the fans on low i also did a reinstall of the os from emachines T3506 when i just biult this computer august 19,2008 i'm wondering if it could be software because ram is nvidia sli-ready as well as gamer's choice I also have been getting [windows 32-bit config/system] messages and it needs some sort of cd-rom to install. i have had alot of problems since putting it to gether with freeze-ups and crashes i set-up sli with bfg 9600GT OC videocards and nvidia software said the hardware was working and there was nothing wrong with the hardware set.

4. new tech guy

new tech guy

I would still check the ram since that sounds like the last thing you did before this current problem started. Also memtest does a very rigorous testing of the RAM.

5. Becavt

Becavt Thread Starter

I have done what new tech guy suggested by a factory trained technician and he ran memtest 86 has well as 3dmark06 and some sort of pcc test and said it wasn't anything wrong with hardware he did several of these tests and told me it wasn't any hardware problems that he could see. i am also wondering if it may p2p or even someone hacking in to my system.

6. mothergoose729

mothergoose729

Unplugg your network cable or wireless adapter. If it is a hacker or somebody on your network (unlikely) then that will stop them from accessing your computer. I would enable memtest on your computer and run it with all sticks in anyway one more time, so you can see the results for yourself to make sure it works. After that, reinstall your operating system. If you want to keep your files then just install it on the same partition as your old operating system instead of reformating. This is a little messy as you will get multiple my doc, my pic, windows folder references but it has always worked for me. Then when you boot, choose the one on top as this will be your new install. Check your boot ini for issues, and copy and paste your new windows install's win32 folder to your older windows install win32 folder (overwriting as necessary), if you can get that far. If that doesn't work then your video card is the likely culprit. Disable sli and try booting up then. Make sure you bois has been restored to default just in case.

7. nessyguin

nessyguin

You dont mention what OS you are running .

8. new tech guy

new tech guy

No hacking really. Its either a hardware or os problem. You do not get any POST at all? If you try to enter the bios during boot, does the machine allow that. This simple check could narrow down what it could be.

9. Becavt

Becavt Thread Starter

I have done a os install like mothergoose729 has said and it was the reinstall with back-up of all essential program files in a my backup folder in C drive it did a repair i think and what mothergoose729 said i should do in win/32 folder i am now running the system with XP home edition 32-bit OS. I have notice only one problem with a movie 10,000 B.C. on playback but i think it was only caused by codecs not being all there in the system. I wondering even if this could be my trouble with this new custom biuld computer. I would apprciate any feedback on this? I get my movies and music from p2p bitcomet/ emule sites this is my only real method for getting entertainment of that kind. by the way the computer seems to be running o.k. for now.

10. nessyguin

nessyguin

"Then I go and spoil it all
    By saying something silly
    Like .... P2P"

Glad your system is running ok but you wont get help with peer to peer downloading here - it's a strict no-no !

11. Becavt

Becavt Thread Starter

I,m wondering if during the install of the windows xp home OS that there was a file missing and it had to be reinstalled? the computer went thru some error messages that i think it could possibly a microsoft download thing. i would appreciate any feedback on this problem because even the store technician didn't even know what exactly the problem is.

12. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar

Although he did mention films and music, P2P itself is not illegal.

In fact I myself have used it several times for legal purposes, including downloading patches for programs and even games that you purchase an unlock code for.

13. nessyguin

nessyguin

It's true that P2P is not in itself illegal but legality isn't the issue . The site rules dictate that no help be offered with P2P .

14. new tech guy

new tech guy

We cant help with the movie issues as they have obviously been obtained illeagally, but as long as the OS itself is legal we can do it, so to that end the best i can say is stop using p2p. And as for movies, make sure you have the correct codecs for the videos to play. All i can say on the p2p matter.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice