No boot up, rhythmic ticking noise

Jrh9899

Hello, I put my new PC to sleep the other day. I went to use it today and noticed it was off, I turned it on and the lights and fan came on but nothing else was working. And the little internal speaker is making a rhythmic ticking sound just like a clock. I have no idea what happened.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hello and welcome to TSG!!

How new is "new"? If it is still under warranty, I'd try to exercise that option first. You don't want to chance voiding the warranty.

Jrh9899

Hello and welcome to TSG!!

How new is "new"? If it is still under warranty, I'd try to exercise that option first. You don't want to chance voiding the warranty.
It’s a newish build, about 2 months old. I don’t have any warranties, maybe with some of the components though

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You need to try to determine the source of the noise. It may be the hard drive. Open the case and take a good listen. Power down, unplug some things and listen again at power u8p. Try to localize the sound.

Jrh9899

You need to try to determine the source of the noise. It may be the hard drive. Open the case and take a good listen. Power down, unplug some things and listen again at power u8p. Try to localize the sound.
I’ve removed everything but the cpu, ram, mobo and power. It the sound is coming from the little speaker that beeps and alarms. It’s like an analog ticking noise

crjdriver

Start by posting ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact processor, exact pw supply, etc, etc. Do not post "500W pw supply" Post the exact brand and model# Do that for ALL of your parts.

Jrh9899

I’ve removed everything but the cpu, ram, mobo and power. the sound is coming from the little speaker that beeps and alarms. It’s like an analog ticking noise
Start by posting ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact processor, exact pw supply, etc, etc. Do not post "500W pw supply" Post the exact brand and model# Do that for ALL of your parts.
GA-Z77-DS3H Motherboard, Intel i3770k processor, Ares 8x2 Memory, GeForce GTX 970, Evga 550 GA power supply

crjdriver

Hello, I put my new PC to sleep the other day
OK, this is not making sense. That motherboard is hardly new; it is 10yr old. The processor is about the same age. Did you build this with used parts or what?

Jrh9899

GA-Z77-DS3H Motherboard, Intel i3770k processor, Ares 8x2 Memory, GeForce GTX 970, Evga 550 GA power supply
It worked great for over a month and then
OK, this is not making sense. That motherboard is hardly new; it is 10yr old. The processor is about the same age. Did you build this with used parts or what?
New parts, the mobo and graphics card were given to me so I just build off of it, thought it be a nice first build

Jrh9899

It worked great for over a month and then

New parts, the mobo and graphics card were given to me so I just build off of it, thought it be a nice first build
Everything was new though, the person that gave them to me never got around to using them years ago. Still sealed and everything

crjdriver

Well, you are going to have to do some troubleshooting. Do the following;
1 System OFF and pw cord removed from the pw supply
2 Pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical
3 Pull out any add-in cards ie real sound card, raid card, etc. Pull out your video card and connect the monitor to an onboard port
4 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, hub, etc. Leave the keyboard connected
5 Reseat both atx and aux/cpu pw connectors on the motherboard. Be sure they are fully seated
6 Reseat all ram. Again be sure the ram chips are fully seated
7 Clear cmos with the clear pins. Read your motherboard manual for detailed instructions
8 Replace the pw cord and pw ON the system. If the motherboard completes POST, shutdown and start connecting devices one at a time until you find the failed part. If the board will not POST in the above config, then you are going to have to swap parts with known good units OR test your parts in a bench/test system

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online