1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no boot w/new usb card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Armitageman, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armitageman

Armitageman Thread Starter

hi

i've recently put together an old system to use as a webserver with my broadband connection, which uses a USB modem. The system has onboard USB, but the motherboard connector is not there (its an AT case, and the board is AT/ATX), so thats useless. I brought a 4x USB PCI card, which occupies the single PCI slot on the motherboard, and it won't boot.

It boots fine without the card, and the card works fine in moy other system, and I tried a different PCI card in the same (and only) slot, and that worked fine.

It was mentioned in another thread, for somebody with the same problem that it could be that the PSU dosn't have enough juice.

The systems got a 230v PSU, which isn't alot, but theres not alot plugged in to it. (Check spec).

I have also tried disabling the onboard USB, to no effect (it was mentioned in the other post that this wouldn't have been the case, and also it shouldn't be that the new card is USB 2, and the onboard is USB 1)

So..... anybody had this problem or got any ideas?

Heres the spec

VIA Apollo MVP3 chipset (is that the same as the MB?)
    - Board has onboard everything, none of its being used apart from the graphics.

Cyrix 686 II 333mhz
    128mb PC100 ram
    8.4gb Quantum Fireball
    ISA BNC Network adapter
    4x USB 2.0 PCI card

Cheers

Dan

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice