1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Boot with DVD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RickyCobra, Nov 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RickyCobra

RickyCobra Thread Starter

Hi guys, I'm back and with all your advise I have got my system up and running good except for one last problem. When I download my driver for my DVD it takes it and everything works fine...........UNTIL...........I shut the system down and start back up after that it stalls. I shut it down and unplug my DVD and it fires right up. I have my DVD set as a slave and my CD-RW as the master. Now does it matter where my DVD is plugged into the ribbon? It's actually on the first plug and the burner is on the furthest. Should I switch them around and see what happens? I was also wondering if I should plug my DVD in with my hard drive? Let me know what you think please.

2. tjsudo

tjsudo

Hi there,

I don't know about your other problem, but you downloaded the driver with your DVD in the computer and installed the driver, then DVD started working until you shut down, right?

That means at hardware level, everything is fine. Position in the connector doesn't matter. For master or slave issue, you should consult with your manual. Some drive specifies it.

Where does it stall? Any error messages?

Do you know the name of the driver you installed?

TJ

3. RickyCobra

The driver I installed is Affrey DVD/CD-ROM drive instalation disk version: 1.0 DOC. NO:C-A300-W-1060-001. When I plug in the DVD to the IDE everything boots up fine all the way to the windows splash screen (Windows 98 SE) then it goes back and stalls with the following on the screen:

(This is my CD-RW)
    DEVICE NAME: IDECD000
    DRIVE 0: PORT=170 (Secondary Channel), MASTER IRQ=15
    Firmware version: 8.CZ
    Transfer Mode: PCI BUS
    MASTER DMA MODE 2

(This is my DVD)

DRIVE 1: PORT=170 (Secondary Channel), SLAVE IRQ=15
    Firmware version: 41
    Transfer Mode: PCI BUS
    MASTER DMA MODE 2

DEVICE NAME: IDECD000
    DRIVE 0: PORT=170 (Secondary Channel), MASTER IRQ=15

4. tjsudo

tjsudo

Did you check Device Manager?

What's on primary IDE? You may want to try DVD on Primary slave.

If your primary IDE cable come with black and grey connector, grey goes to DVD.

TJ

5. RickyCobra

I'm up and running ..........Thank you very much. I switched the DVD as the master and the CD-RW as a slave and it took right off and is all running fine now. I never would have thought it would make any kind of difference but hey...it did. Thanks again.:) :) :)

6. Rocky1

Rocky1

Glad you are up and running...an IDE-type DVD-ROM may be installed as a master or slave device on any hart drive controller channel. These master/slave settings are handled thru one or two jumpers located on the rear of the drive (right next to the 40-pin signal cable connector. Anyway my friend, glad your situation is rectified.:)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice