1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gimbi, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gimbi

gimbi Thread Starter

I've got a PC that won't boot. No OS, no POST, nothing except running fans. I have an identical PC here that boots fine, and all jumper settings are identical. Any thoughts? Thanks ahead of time :)

2. sickcars

sickcars

I would start by removing everything that you dont need, things like, Sound card, network card, Leave 1 stick of ram in there, unhook the HDD. etc etc

If it boots up then slowly start adding each part 1 by 1 untill it does not boot and that will be your problem.

Now if it does not boot then try some things like,
    - Try other ram stick and remove one thats currently in there.
    - Try different video card
    - Try different monitor just to make sure
    etc

If that still does not work, try another powersupply.

Post back with results.

Ciao

3. gimbi

gimbi Thread Starter

Thanks for your help! Tried all of the above, but unfortunatly it had no effect. In addition, we replaced the CMOS battery. The only two other things I can think of are motherboard or CPU problems. Any other thoughts before I tear out the motherboard?

4. Drako

Drako

does the BIOS start up and count the RAM?

5. gimbi

gimbi Thread Starter

Nope. No BIOS, no POST, nothing except fans.

6. sickcars

sickcars

Try removing all the ram see if anything happens, any beeps and so on.

Also reset the cmos just to try, remove the cmos battery for about 5-10min to reset.

Ciao

7. Drako

Drako

i had this problem a while ago!!! but im not sure what i did to fix the problem:( . i think i flipped the jack for the power button....:confused: i hope that is what was wrong but i dont think its you mobo right now. also make sure you have the power plugged into ALL the needed places:) GL!!!

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It would help us if you would include some system specs, make and model of system or Motherboard, Processor, Ram, Video, HDD's Optical drives, added cards such as Network cards, etc and OS. Also is thisw a new build or has it run before? Was it running before then wouldnt run when you started it again?

9. gimbi

gimbi Thread Starter

IBM 8305 51U, P4.... unknown OS. We don't know when the last time it worked was. It was in storage for months.

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Is this an IBM prebuilt system? It sounds as though it might be. What you describe sounds a lot like a bad power supply. Just because a few fans spin and a few lights light up does not mean that the power supply is capable of operating the system. According to a search of the IBM site this came with a 185W Power Supply and onboard video, a 40gB hdd possibly a CDRW and Floppy drive.

11. DeLorean

DeLorean

without a decription of any system beeps it sounds like cpu and/or graphics card, if you have an identical system there as you said then try swapping cpu's between and see if the problem follows the cpu to the other system. do the same with graphics.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536321

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice