1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DocsGuy, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DocsGuy

DocsGuy Thread Starter

HP compaq dc7600 small form factor, windows XP Business Ed. On boot it cycles partialy thru Windows then reverts to the black screen with boot options. Start normally, Safe Mode none of the options worked. Replaced HD and it Blue screened me during each new install. On a whim I put the original HD in another PC only to discover it worked fine. When I put it back in the errored PC I got the same result. I'm stumped. When I reset the Memory, the Windows Progress bar now scrolls very slowly across it's bar and after about 2 min. went to boot options

2. Megabite

Megabite

Try resetting the Memory and see

3. DocsGuy

DocsGuy Thread Starter

For anyone with a similar issue. Resetting the memory did not work but put me on the right track. There being 2 banks with 512 mb chip in the primary slot of each bank, I just moved the chip from bank 2 into the secondary slot of bank 1 and even though I got an error message stating equal ram is to be in both primary slots it still recognized 1 g overall and the PC booted up correctly. I can only guess that bank 2 got fried somehow (We have many power outages) and removing the chip from it resolved my issue. Thanks Megabite

4. Megabite

Megabite

Well done

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969604

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice