1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"No bootable device, press any key to reset"

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by spankyxham, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spankyxham

spankyxham Thread Starter

I got a new computer recently (Windows 8) and for the first two days it ran fine. I started to move files over to the new computer. I restarted it, and when it turned on it gave me the "No bootable device, press any key to reset" message. I've tried putting the windows 8 disc in and nothing happens. When booting I have one option to launch a hyper drive utility, which shows my hard drive and disc drive. After that screen, it comes up with some loading screen saying "press any key to enter the boot menu." Pressing any key does nothing and it just continues to the "No bootable device, ... " message. Any help would be appreciated, not quite sure what I'm doing anyway.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sounds like your hard drive (or SSD) has failed. Or possibly its data or power connection has become loose.

3. spankyxham

spankyxham Thread Starter

I checked the connections and they seem fine. Is it common for new hard drives to fail? Because that's what I've been suspecting.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The way I view "common" I'd say 'no.' But your concern is whether yours has failed. If it were me I'd be studying the warranty.

5. raybro

raybro

It is not unheard of for a drive to fail relatively new. In the electronics world it is referred to as 'Infant mortality". Meaning a latent defect, often from the manufacturing process, became a hard failure.

There are some methods of determining whether the drive is in fact failed, but I tend to agree with Terrynet that with a new computer, go with the warranty if it is practical to do so.

One question for you.. Have you done anything with the BIOS around the time your system failed?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083737

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice