1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Bootable Device

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by toldham, Oct 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. toldham

toldham Thread Starter

Everytime I attempt to start up my Acer laptop, all it shows is a black screen with the message “No Bootable Device”

2. valis

valis Moderator

Moving to hardware.

Sounds like the hard drive either died or got disconnected. What is the make and model?

3. toldham

toldham Thread Starter

Acer Spin 3 N16P9

4. valis

valis Moderator

no boot device found means one of two things; the HD has died or is disconnected. How comfy are you with disassembling the laptop and checking the connection?

Are there files on that drive you need?

5. toldham

toldham Thread Starter

I am definitely no computer genius but I can give disassembling the laptop a try. As for files on the drive, I don’t believe there’s anything too important.

6. valis

valis Moderator

if you arent comfy with it, take it to a local Mom and Pop shop, not a big box store like Best Buy. I have never disassembled an Asus so I cant talk to that.

Good news that nothing on there is needed at least.

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Is it still under warranty ? If it is you could send it back for repair or replacement.

valis likes this.
  8. valis

valis Moderator

oofda, my bad. Should have mentioned that. Nice catch @managed.

9. toldham

toldham Thread Starter

No sir no warranty. Is there anything I can do before I take it into a shop? Trying to save as much money as possible haha.

10. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    It looks like 12 screws on the bottom. Usually you will need something like a guitar pick to separate the case parts even once the screws are removed. Carefully pry in one area then move slowly around. You should hear popping noises as each clasp releases. This video shows the "tech" using a metal tool to open the case. Plastic will cause less cosmetic damage! Once the back is off, the HDD is shown in the right-hand corner closest to you at about 2:32 in the video ...

valis likes this.
  11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217340

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice