1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Bootable devices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cb010241, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cb010241

cb010241 Thread Starter

I am just a learning to use a PC. I am a 66 year grandma that just had open heart surgery and was hoping to pass some of the time surfing the internet.

I have a Dell Latitude C600 Laptop I bought used off of E-Bay.Model PP01L. It has Microsoft Windows XP. It also says Bios Revision A16. I just finished using it with no problem. I turned it back on and I am getting the message.
    "Primary hard disk drive 0 not found No bootable devices"

Even though I don't know much about computers I am pretty handy at following directions and am hoping someone could give me some suggestions. Any help would really be appreciated. My neighbor let me borrow her computer to send this and said I could keep it a few days so that I can look at any answers I get. Thanks, Carol

2. tecknomage

tecknomage

Hi Grandma,

I'm 62 myself but I'm in the computer business, so I have no problem with the technology.

Your problem:

When you turn on your PC, somewhere on the screen should be a message about Setup.

Something like = [F2] for Setup, but it may be different for your PC.

Use whatever key it tells you to get into Setup (aka BIOS Setup).

In the Setup Screen should be a list of options. Again, just what the options are depends on your PC, so I can't give specifics.

Use the arrows to look at the options and there will be one that lists your hard drives or has an entry saying Hard Drives (or something close). On this PC at work, the hard drives are listed in a sub-menu "Advanced Settings." Note I am not talking about Boot Order, which is another listing in some Setups.

What you are to verify that your PC actually sees your hard drive. It may be listed as Primary IDE name-of-hard-drive-&-size.

If you don't see the hard drive listed anywhere, you have major problem. This problem will be inside the your Laptop. I suggest you find someone nice that will look at it for you.

By the way, I know you bought from eBay to save money but you may have run into the problem with buying anything used from eBay. When it comes to any electronics, you need to ask yourself, "why is this person selling it?" The answer may be, it is old and going bad in the first place; think used-car salesman.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595158

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice