1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"No Booting Device" Error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by p0pec0ver, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. p0pec0ver

p0pec0ver Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

I've Dell Inspiron E 1505 with Windows XP, Intel Duo Core Processor, 80 HD, 1 GB memory. 533 Mhz memory speed.

My question is that I used my computer this afternoon and when I tried to turn it back on in the evening, it showed me an error message saying that "no bootable devicess--strick F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility, F5 to run onboard diagnostics. And I ran the diagnostics and setup utility, but no hard drive was detected. And in the utility set up, it said that primary hard drive-none were installed.

I've been using this laptop from about 15 months. And this is happened for the first time. I called Dell, but my warranty was expired so they were charging me to diagnose problem, but I already know that something is wrong with the hard drive.

I wanted to know that how could I reset my hard drive or is there anything I could do to fix this problem. I know if nothing works out then I would have to get a new hard drive, but I wanted to try to reset the hard drive for once.

I also opened the hard drive to see if there were any loose connections, but that didn't help either.

If any of you could help me with this, I really appericiate it. Really having a bad time with computers. I also have an HP laptop and it's motherboard crashed on Saturday, but I can have that fixed because that's under warranty and on Sunday my PC broke down and have to get a new hard drive and on Monday, facing problems with this dell laptop. I would really appericiate it if anyone could help me because I really need a computer to do my homework!!

Thank you all..!

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

If you have a Dell XP Cd you can boot to cd drive with XP in it and choose "R" for recovery console, then type in fixboot and then fixmbr and then try to boot again. If not I would run checkdisk from there as: "chkdsk /r" from the Recovery Console.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!