1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No browser can connect to the web

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by FrustratedAmy, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FrustratedAmy

FrustratedAmy Thread Starter

Well, I'm back and I'm frustrated again. This time it is my own fault. After you people helped me solve my Optix trojan horse problem, my machine was running so well, I thought I could install AOL 7 (hubby wants it) and perhaps figure out why we had no sound. AOL 7 immediately performed an illegal operation. Uninstalled it. In the process of looking at the sound problem, I managed to uninstall all my "Windows Setup" tab components. (I didn't do it on purpose!). Something called "Marketscore" SOMETIMES opens on a reboot. It has been there for months. My son says it was an internet accelerator, but I can't find the program that starts it. I think the actual accelerator was uninstalled. The only other thing I did that might affect the situation is that something strange came up when I was trying to bring up Winamp. I haven't been able to do it again, and I don't know what I did, but a window came up with a very ugly animated graphic (kind of a skull with headphones and eyes hanging out). In the end, no browser, not IE5, not Netscape, not Juno can access the web. I can connect to AOL5, but I get page cannot be displayed errors in all browsers. I am using our old Win95 machine to post this.

I have run Moosoft's Cleaner - no trojans (of course, can't access the site for updates)

I have run Ad aware and cleaned spyware. (It does not find anything related to Marketscore)

I have run NAV (last update 12/29) - no viruses found

I reinstalled my windows setup components. My Windows 98 disk appears to be scratched. (ever hear of Murphy's Law????). I get errors (can't read disk) installing communications component. I finally got it to install just the components I use. (don't use networking, don't use direct cable, hyperterminal or private networking). Also, since I can't access web, can't do Windows update.

Fixing or reinstalling IE5 works until reboot. Then it says mstime.dll was not installed or is corrupt. (it's there, just wont work). I even tried extracting just that file - no difference.

If I ping Yahoo.com or Symantec.com, I get "unknown host"
    If I type in "ping 216.115.109.7" sometimes I get a response, sometimes not.

I tried Del's repair of Winsock2 (found here in a post) "Go to add and remove program | windows setup tab| take the check mark out of COMMUNICATION | click apply | when asked to reboot say no. -Click start | run | type regedit follow the path HKEY LOCAL MACHINES | system | current control set | services | winsock2 -Right clickl select delete. -Go to add remove programs | windows setup | put check in COMMUNICATIONS | when asked to reboot say yes, After rebooting, try to browse." The problem here is I can't reinstall all of communications because of scratched disk. With the reinstall of the components I CAN install, there is no change, and surprisingly, I can still get on AOL.

IE5 internet options have all been reset to default - no change.

Unless there is something missed in uninstalls, I have no internet security programs. Previously, I had Black Ice and Norton Internet Security.

I'm attaching Startup.log. Sorry this is so long. HELP!!!

Attached Files:

2. beach51

beach51

Hi FrustratedAmy,If this just happen,lets try this.Go to Start>Shutdown>Restart in Ms-dos>At the c:\prompt type

Scanreg /Restore (hit the enter key)

Note,notice the space between the g and /

Now pick a date prior to this happening.You can only go back 4 days for this to work.This should restore the computer back to where it was prior to installing AoHell.:D

Your son is right BTW,Marketscore is an internet accelerator.Once you restore the computer,go to msconfig and see if it is listed there.If not check the add and remove programs in the control panel.From what i read about this one its loaded with spyware,but like you mentioned you have run ad-aware and no spyware was found.

Lets us know if this helps.

3. FrustratedAmy

restoring the registry (it went back to the 3rd) corrected the browser problem. I still don't know why, and now I have to figure out why the machine is unstable. But, I have "been there, done that" already, so I am prepared. One thing is for sure, won't install AOL7 again!

Thanks for your help. If I figure out what changed (I have Norton Registry tracker, so I should be able to see the differences.) I will let you know.

Thank you again

Amy

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

5. FrustratedAmy

Thanks - yet again! NSCheck was the first thing listed in my startup items! I thought it was a system function!

Amy

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64416

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice