No Browser

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rhettman5

A friend of mine has a huge problem that I have never seen before, he was trying to print a list of his mp3 files, and , not knowing how to do this, was dragging, dropping and shuffeling things all over :).
As one would expect, he eventually froze the computer up and had to restart,he was not on the internet when this all happened.
When he restarted he got this error message :

The WINNET.DLL file is linked to missing export SHLWAPI.dll:wnsprint w.

He could click ok and windows seemed to boot normally, then, 2 things happened, he tried to get on the internet and got this message :

NETSCAPE caused an exception6d007eH in module URL.DLL at 015f:7928ea00.
Registers:
EAX=021efe40 CS=015fEIP=7948ea00 EFLGS=00000246
EBX=00000000 SS=0167 ESP=021efe04 EBP=021efe34
ECX=00000001 DS=0167 ESI=7948eb38 FS=48a7
EDX=8174e7b0 ES=0167 EDI 00000000 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8b 45 f8 e9 06 01 00 00 57 ff 76 08 ff 15 74 11
Stack dump:
00bc9dc0 00bd9dec 7886e3d8 00000024 7948eb38 79490054
79481eb0 00000001 7948ebb8 00000000 00000000 0000001f
021eff44 7948e8e8 00000004 021efe10

I am sure this is a Netscape error, and while I know how to repair
Internet Explorer, I am clueless if Netscape will do this, he can still get on line, but with no browser, by clicking his ISP Icon.

Things I have done:
Ran virus scan .(outdated I am sure)
Cleared unnessasarry items in startup folder in ms config.
(this stopped the first error message listed)
Tried scanreg /restore. (no luck, predated problem, but still there)
Tried to start Internet Explorer, and,I COULDN'T FIND IT !
only 1 file showed up in search and it was 0 bytes, I thought it HAD to be there.
Today he informed me that none of his Sierra games will work, and that his adaptech burner software will not open. all other programs and office appear normal however.

Sounds like a possible Virus, but he says he wasn't on the internet at all that evening, perhaps one that hides before striking ?? anyone have any ideas ??....sorry about the book, but wanted to get all I knew about it down on this post....Rhett

Do the Virus scan first.

What version of Windows? Internet Explorer is part of the OS. Did he use a utility to remove it? Like Ieradicator?

Try overinstalling Netscape to the same Folder it resides in now.
Find the Netscape Folder and the setup should be in there. Double click on it and let it go. It will tell you there is already a copy of Netscape installed in ...... Install in the same folder.

See if reinstalling Netscape helps.

He may have to overinstall Windows to get back IE and some of the functions he is missing. Sounds like he is missing a lot of files. Start there and post back.

What kind of a computer? HP Compaq Dell Homebuilt?

Did you say music files was what he was moving about??
If he downloads from Morpheus it surely could be a virus....
it wouldn't show til he clicked the file.
If he can get to http://www.antivirus.com
he should scan & make sure

rhettman5

Gateway computer
Windows 98
Outdated Norton
No ability to get on the net because no browser

I will try the re-install of Netscape, if that doesn't work I could reinstall windows over it's self, but I would really like to do a updated virus scan first, will let ya know on the netscape thing and, yes,Morpheus is his d/l program for music...Rhett

You may have to do whatever you need to to get on the internet . Do the updated Virus scan. Clean it and repair.
There is F-PROt at
www.bbotdisk.com
which fits on a floppy and can be run in DOS.
Be sure if you use a floopy in his machine that you write protect it first. OR toss it after you are finished.

I don't know how effective it will be in finding out what's going on though. I have never used it. You could also download AVG at bootdisk. It depends on whether or not you have a Burner to copy the file. Many options. It's up to you. I know you have access to the internet on your own computer.

rhettman5

Yes , I have a burner, not to familuar with dos, just the scanreg thing and a few others, I forgot to mention I went into device manager in safemode and it showed no problems, he lives about a hour from me, and is not answering his phone, so tomorrow I will try the Netscape reinstall and we will go from there thanks for the reply's....Rhett

IBM

The SHLWAPI is an Explorer file....so IE needs to be repaired for that part to work.

Try doing this to see if you can still get online:
Start/Run type: command

From the dos window that opens type: FTP
If the following is shown then you can still get on the net: ftp>

If the Ftp> is not shown, only a '_', then you probably can't get online without first fixing IE or NS.

anyway:
You should have a folder for win's updates, and from there you should have an IEsetup.exe.

C:\Windows Update Setup Files\ie5setup.exe or similair.
Just run the executible...(hopefully it's there)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online