1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NO CD DRIVE = Bad Boot/Shutdown

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by tozman, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tozman

tozman Thread Starter

I may have "moved/deleted" files required to find the CD-ROm drive. ( its a long story....) The drive is not detected by the BIOS on boot up, there seems to be a DOS hang, that might be connected with this.
    All the autoexec.bat edits i do dont take, because the SHUTDOWN wont take either. It is a forced boot AND shutdown.
    I cant reinstall Windows ( 98 SE ) because I have no CD drive.
    I run anti spyware, screens, virus detectors...I try to keep a clean Machine.....but it seems to be slowly bogging down.
    I have to use aftermarket defrags, because the Wondows one freezes when it cant find D drive ( CD )....as do a few other apps.

The flight sim still runs ok....Winamp, Irfanview, ...these all run ok.

I figure someone can help. CAB's ??? A "fix" tool ? a "windows update ?" I have d/l'd a generic driver....but it didnt fix.
    The System Status says it is OK !!!....

I don't know. Outside my experiance. Apart from a stick or two of trinitrotolulene.....any ideas/fixes ???? with many thanks

Tozman

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Say if you've re-jumpered the CD-ROM, Ok?, if you have it should be jumpered as Master on the Secondary IDE line. Be sure all plug-ins are seated correctly on the mainboard and back of the drives. Ground yourself before touching internal components by touching the frame and holding your feet still. Try the below first.

Sounds like a bad drive. Aside from that if you haven't re-jumpered for some reason test to see if it's just a bad drive. Print this out:

Boot into Safe Mode - (tap F8 twice per second during a restart; Choose option number three (3) in the Windows Startup dialog box using the arrow keys below the Delete key, and strike the Enter key; Click Ok when prompted);

Right click My Computer; Point to Properties; Click the Device Manager tab; Click the plus sign beside CDROM; Highlight each device inside CDROM, each in turn, and click the Add/Remove button until no main CDROM entry is present.

Repeat with each device below that, Display Adapters etc. (see exceptions below), removing all entries duplicate inside a main heading. If duplicates are present, remove all those Duplicate Entries Only, inside a main heading.

Do Not bother Hard Disk Controllers, System Devices, and USB controllers.

Restart via the Start button and Windows will redetect, refresh and only replace those devices needed. There is no use for 2 keyboards, CDROM etc. as those duplicates cause some of the errors you describe.

3. tozman

tozman Thread Starter

It may well be a bad drive. I had all my mp3 files burnt onto CD, and had a heck of a time getting any reliable response to my requests to copy certain of them back onto the HD. My CD based flight sim also became unreliable....and eventually stopped loading at all.
    Further....it made Very Bad Noises on boot. Now , it makes no noise at all, and will answer no command. In normal running mode , My Computer will not answer, because it tries to access the D drive ( CD )....and cannot successfully do so.
    The HD indicator light on the front of the tower is permanently on, as if the machine were still searching for D drive.

It is an OAK drive....but it is 4 years old now....and has had a bit of a thrashing. I have heard they are not fond of temperature extremes as well ( very cold in my case ).

No....I have not touched the hardware. It worked fine for two years....then slowly...and INTERMITTENTLY...this problem reared its head.

Here is one bit that puzzles me. The ONLY way I can get it to boot....is CTRL / ESC to give the boot options....and the ONLY one that seems to be successful is to select the CD-ROM option. !!!
    All the others hang. As does the shutdown. It just hangs.

I have tried so many diagnostics that I have lost count. They all tell me that nothing OBVIOUS appears wrong. The PC doctor finds nothing amiss.

So....it may be the SIMPLE ANSWER !!! The drive is U/S ....
    heck...its about time I got a burner anyhow.....
    ...but just out of interest, I will perform the checks that were suggested. This machine does need a few more muscles !!!
    ( the new flight sims need quite a bit of grunt )....and I am not running the recommended 128 meg ram.

Many thanks for the advice and help. The Tozman. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165121

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice