1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No cd drive in BIOS

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by philb, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. philb

philb Thread Starter

Hi, my problem is that first of all the updates for xp home would not load, the Cd/DVD rom stopped being recognised in the BIOS, when trying to restore to an earlier date the PBell lost the restore points due to 'lack of memory' although there was plenty on the computer. Lost the Internet explore when trying to restore to the earlier date? (says no cards present) I removed the upper & lower filters as instructed by MicrosoftÂ’s site. Also no cd/dvd drives in Device Manager.

Windows xp is still on the computer, even loaded another XP O/S on the 'D' drive (now removed)

I can still get in to the computer through USB ports (no problems) even sent for a lead to allow any CD rom drive to connect through the USB ports! No jumpers have been altered on the CD drives and they are functioning well in another computer. Have installed a floppy drive, made up 6 start up floppies- but screen says NO CD drive?

Now during the past 2 weeks because of my 'messing around with the PC, have been losing more functions! Where do I look now? I have been told that the Bios should be ok? although needs flashing. The computer is 3 years old, had 1GB of ram and is functioning ok apart from the obvious? Should I be looking at the BIOS or registry, anyone care to comment HELP! many thanks Phil.

2. kickback999

kickback999

It could be a virus (well, anything can be with Windows)
    but i do seem to remember a virus that did something like that on my dads windows machine.
    Especially losing restore points due to "lack of memory", that shouldent happen.
    I would bet on it being a virus or something similar or at a pinch it could be a hardware problem because there is no way its just Windows doing that by accident.
    A good tip for the future is also : dont use internet explorer.

3. philb

philb Thread Starter

thanks for the reply, basically i'm trying to determine what's happening? & which way to go! thanks again.

4. philb

philb Thread Starter

Further to what i have said so far i have changed the IDE cables, CDroms are working fine as i have used then through the USB ports to get into the computer. There is a conflict with a CDrom connected through the USB and any CDrom connected as normal through the IDE cable into the motherboard (jumpers changed around to bypass without success so are bring disconnected when the USB is plugged in.

On the BOIS setup, the 'BOOT' screen says that one of the IDE devices has been disabled (i have not altered the settings prior to to computer 'playing up' All setting in the BIOS are set to Default. Hard Drive, Floppy & realtec are recognised - that's it?

In Device Manager, IDE devices, under Advanced Settigs i noticed that the 'auto detection' on Primary IDE Channel Properties, Device 0 is half lit up?

Primary IDE Channel Properties;
    Device 0
    Device Type 'AUTO DETECTION' (is dimly lit - no access to it)
    Transfer mode DMA if available
    Current transfer rate

Device 1
    Device Type 'AUTO DETECTION' (fully visable)
    Transfer mode DMA if available
    Current transfer rate

All the other IDE screens are the same, auto detection is 'on' - fully visable? Device 0 & Device 1 all ok.

SO how can i get the auto detection working normally, also no internet recognition -0 says No hardware? many thanks for this. Phil

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703989

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice