1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No cd reformat..... possible?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by blsrect, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blsrect

blsrect Thread Starter

Let's see if you techies can solve this "simple" reformat problem...

Hello! in dire need of some tech support. So here's the background... I was

given a Toshiba Satellite A135 running on Windows 7. I got a virus and tried

to DIY reformat. I DO NOT HAVE THE ORIGINAL WINDOW 7 CD and was only given a

"burnt copy of windows 7" by a friend.. So i searched online, especially

utube, searching for how to reformat WITHOUT a cd and decided to follow what

this guy said (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mME9VLT7-xw&feature=related)...

The only FILES i backed up were my movies, music, word docs, and pdf's. So

anything "driver" related i didn't back up.

i did the whole f8 thing WITH my friends burnt cd inserted (i dont know if

that makes a difference). If you view the utube video, i got to around 2:10

and deleted EVERYTHING. First of all there were 3 disk partion options to

select instead of just one like in the video. So i deleted all three because

i assumed all 3 were infected. Either way it did not let me progress and i

forgot what it said, but it gave me an error window stating something about a

missing screen image.

So i restarted the whole thing and just like at 1:48 my laptop gave me the

option to choose the OS i'd like to install. From a loooooooong list i just

chose the first which is windows 7 Homebasic Activated. I click next, accept

the license terms and just like in the utube video at 2:07 i choose custom

(advanced). Now those 3 partitions have reappeared. So i chose "reformat" for

all 3 (the last partition doesn't allow me to choose any option). So after

clicking reformat for the top two, i highlight the partition that i think

said "primary" and click next. At the installing screen copying files were

completed, but the next step stops and said "windows cannot install required

files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for

installation are available, and restart the installaion. Error code:

0x80070017".... Considering my situation and my lack of funds to replace the

windows 7 cd, can anybody help me reformat my laptop? any help is greatly

appreciated! Oh and sorry if this is in the wrong "topic" section... i jsut

didn't know where specifically to post this...

2. dukevyner

dukevyner

one thing caught my attention
    ... this is illegal... your trying to install a version of windows that is already activated... activation is a security measure so that only allows you to install the os 3 times... heres an idea look at the windows sticker on the bottom of the laptop try and find the windows 7 iso that matches what the sticker says like "windows 7 home basic" but not one "from a list" or one that is "self-activating' or "activated"... other than this i refuse to assist you in installing an illegal copy of windows

3. dukevyner

dukevyner

p.s. perhaps the error came from the broken illegal copy

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Those "extra partitions" are ther equivalent of the Windows DVD. They are the recovery partition and were there for reinstalling Windows. If there are no disks, a copy of the Windows installation will need to be purchased now if the original OS is ever to be reinstalled.

There is no reason nw to keep those partitions since any changes made to partitions make recovery inaccessible. So delete all the partitions and start from a blank drive.

Of course if the product key has already been used, then a new licnse for Windows will be needed if it is to be activated. The one on the machine will only work with copies licensed to the manufacturr and not on any retail copies.

Formatting and partitioning are part of setup. You do it with the DVD. If you can't do it with the DVD, you can't install Windows with that DVD, either.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!