1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no cd rom no OS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by macataq, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. macataq

macataq Thread Starter

hello all

iwas wondering if any one had any ideas on this
    heres my situation: i bought a laptop for my daughter and it has no OS on it. didnt pay much for but i also dont know if its any good , so i dont really want to buy a CDROM drive for it . it only has an external floppy and the only floppy disks i have are for NT (came with VB, which i am tryin to learn)
    however when i get to disk 3 it says it cannot find the CD rom drive(duh , i dont have one!) and cannot continue the setup

any ideas?

thanx

MacataQ

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

How many floppies are we talking about here. It sounds like those are just the bootdisks for installing an OS that cannot boot from a cd.

3. Krall

Krall

The windows NT Operating System comes with 3 floppy disks and a CD. The disks contain information for booting your computer from them as you have done and also have some hard disk and scsi drivers on them. Then after the disks boot-up it wants your NT cd to load the actual OS. As you have found out, you need a cd-rom drive. BUT you also need to be sure your laptop has enough memory, and the hard drive is large enough to hold NT. Also, you must have your drive formatted properly (which you can do while loading the NT os). As for your problem with not knowing if it is any good, what kind of laptop is it (Maker, model?) If you have access to the internet you can look at the manufactuerers website and find the model and get some specs on it. Some makers you can look up your PC by serial number. If it is a good laptop in your opinon then get a cd drive for it. If you still dont want to get a cd-drive for it, there may still be a way to do this. It is quite difficult though. If you have another PC at home(preferably a laptop) you can use a program called GHOST and a laplink cable to transfer the contents of the working computers hard drive to the laptops hard drive. It is difficult because if you ghost the wrong way you will put the laptops hard drive onto the working pc and you will have 2 computers that dont work. also, after ghosting you will then have to go onto the laptop and reconfigure all hardware settings and drivers, and may need to reinstall apps also. This is a last resort and I'm sure you will probably want to just buy the cd-rom drive instead. Besides, if you get the drive and the laptop is crap, you can always return the drive. Unless they just give you store credit for returns.

4. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Even if you didn't pay much for the laptop,it is pretty much worthless to you (and most anyone else) as it is.
    Buy the CD-ROM...

5. rmay635703

rmay635703

??? A laptop without a cd is no more or less useless than one with.

In many cases an older laptop is not benefitted by a cd. Especially when one must spend $75+ to get an external on a laptop that isn't worth $25.

What brand/type of laptop are we talking? 386, 486, 586, Pentium I, II, III.

Simple solution buy a $5-$10 laplink cable, use interlink and install by hooking it into your "big" pc.

Another solution if you have windows 95 is to format a bunch of new floppies to 1.7mb using Herne data systems maxi disk and install windows via floppies.

Or if you just want it to play solitare and run a word processor, drop dos on the thing
    http://www.bootdisk.com (you can also find out if the hd works by fdisking and formatting the drive, you can also view the contents if any of the drive and possibly luck out and find an os is installed but the drive needs sys'ing)
    and run windows 3.11.

Good Luck

6. Krall

Krall

Happy birthday rmay

7. macataq

macataq Thread Starter

hello all
    thanx for the replies
    first of all , we are talking about an old thinkpad 570 here , i paid $25 for it . just would like to know if it works or not
    Krall, lwdsquashman and rmay635703 , thanks for the useful information, it is much appreciated. i will try some of the solutions you have suggested.

gwiz joe: if thats the best you can do for advice/suggestions, then i would like to suggest to you that you steer clear of
    any type of customer service/support avenues as a possible career choice

thanx

MacataQ

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168417

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice