no cd rom

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

madmanx

:confused: please help me , I cant get my cd rom to work.I ran diagnostics and it says it cant read the disks I put in, any ideas?

Easy fix first: Go to device manager (right click My Computer>Properties). Double click on the CD-ROM entry and then highlight your CD-ROM. Select “Remove” at the bottom of the box. Reboot and it will reload the CD-ROM with new drivers. Works more often than not.

madmanx

thanks for the message slipe, but I already tried that and it didn't work, when I put a disk into the drive it makes a high pitched noise (not loud) and then nothing happens.Then when I try to click on any thing or open anything its like the whole computer freezes untill I remove the disk, the computer is only a year old I don't think I need to buy a new cd-rom, any ideas?

madmanx

My computer is now telling me it is a code 27
I turned my comp off and pulled out the three cables from the
back of the cd rom.I then rebooted.I then shut the comp down
again and put cables back, well now the comp doesn't even recognise that I have a cd-rom. Please help me my heads going to explode.

You already tried my usual next step. Have you added any hardware lately? Sure you got the connections back right? It is possible to plug the IDE cable in backwards. The colored wire should be on the right looking from the back of the computer. You might try another power connection – there are usually spares. Is the drive showing signs of having power?

They can crap out like anything else. Any chance of trying it in another computer?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Are you receiving this error message in device manager?

Code 27
Windows can't specify the resources for this device. (Code 27)

Click the Resources tab, and then select the basic configuration for the resources this device uses. To see which resources this device uses, see the documentation for this device.

Solution button: None

This code means that the portion of the registry describing possible resources for a device does not contain valid entries. For example, the device is marked as configurable, but the configuration information in the .inf file is set to hardwired.

To resolve this error code, use Device Manager to remove the device and then run the Add New Hardware tool in Control Panel. If the device still does not work, consult the hardware manufacturer for updated drivers or further assistance.

Or if you are trying to read the drive with another program, or scan the drive, Code 27 can mean no media inserted....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online