1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Clock or Clock tile on Start menu? How can I get one?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by hotskates, Jun 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

I was just looking at my metro start menu tiles and noticed that none of them showed the time. Any idea how to get the time to show up? They will probably have a clock tile soon, but this bothers me for now.

2. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    I understand, from reading blogs,etc. that it will be improved in the final release, but, meanwhile, the easiest way to quickly see the clock is by using the Windows key + C

3. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

I know about that dave.....and I could also click the desktop too where I have a clock gadget running. It would just be nice to have a big tile there to see the clock and I'm sure it will be improved when the final version is released like you said. This is the first time I have downloaded an early beta copy of an operating system and I'm not used to things being unfinished. I'll just have to be more patient....:)

4. davehc

First Name:
    David
    The might be a third party app around somewhere. You can, as you probably have also found, right click the right hand corner for the so-called "charms" bar, and move the cursor up. The huge clock will also spring into life

5. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

dave.... I just want to see it there without clicking, moving, or swiping...lol :) The clock is the most important thing for me and so basic....it must just be there at some point.....hopefully!

I also hope that the developers, who are listening to customers suggestions, create a shutdown button or tile to be added to the start menu. Right now I hate having to go to the right side with the charm bar and all that. Its probably ok for a tablet, but it's too many steps on my laptop. I could go on...............

6. davehc

First Name:
    David
    If you customise it in the Power options, the easiest way to shut down Windows 8 (or 7) is to hold the power button.

7. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

I thought that (cold shutdown) was a bad way to shutdown the computer? Or, does it shut it down the right way(shutting down through the operating system), when you set it that way through the power options?

8. alphanumeric

alphanumeric

If you set the power options correctly, a momentary press will shutdown windows the normal safe way.
    Pressing and holding it down will do a forced shutdown. That's a BIOS option, usually set to 4 seconds.
    I just put a shutdown shortcut on my desktop.

9. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

I already put one on my desktop, but, I want a tile on my metro page too :)

10. alphanumeric

alphanumeric

I put my shutdown shortcut on my desktop. If I open explorer and go to my desktop folder. I can right click the shutdown shortcut to "Pin to start" and "Pin to taskbar". I have it in both places, I just use the taskbar one more.

11. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Hey thanks! I was able to right click the shutdown icon from the desktop and pin it to the start and it shows up on the metro/start screen! Thats what I wanted. :) I was going to do a screen shot (to show you how it looked) by using the snipping tool, but now I have go figure out how to work that from the start screen. When I click it it sends me back to the desktop. This Windows 8 is going to be a lot of work, I can tell, just figuring out little stuff like this.:confused:

12. alphanumeric

alphanumeric

Yeah, the snipping tool won't capture Metro as it disappears. You have to do the old school screen capture with the print screen button and save in MS paint. Something like that. ;)

13. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Old school :p If I was a betting girl, I'd bet that Microsoft dumps Windows 8 for pc next year and gets back to basics with a normal OS.

14. alphanumeric

alphanumeric

One can only hope!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1056483

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice