1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no com ports

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dougl5, Nov 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dougl5

dougl5 Thread Starter

H.P., (huge pile)6357, win 98se., un-installed working ultra slow modem, installed creative sound blaster, and computer can't open the com port. Seems like modem used to use com2, but now only have com1 to pick from. I used, and followed all the trouble shooters to the end, bios shows com2,3,&4 as oo oo, com 1 does show actually as f8 03., but puter cannot find, & obviously not open, so...............?? Thanks in advance!!

2. deuce

deuce

So you no longer have a Com1? Check in device manager in control panel/system and look under ports. Look to see which ports are in there.

3. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

just make sure you have com2 disabled in bios so the modem can take it over.

make sure you remove the old modem drivers, by add/remove programs if it is there, plus remove old modem in device manager and safe mode device manager.

Use cd to install modem, or start>settings>control panel>modem and add a modem when it asks. When it asks you to search for drivers, point it to the proper directory on the cd.

If it is the isa version of the blaster, make sure any com jumpers are set to com2 if it has any.

I was assuming you meant that you removed your old modem and installed a creative modem blaster in its place instead of a sound blaster sound card because you said you "uninstalled ultra slow modem". Just yell if I assumed wrong.

4. dougl5

dougl5 Thread Starter

sorry guys, I did mean modem blaster, not sound. I will work on this this evening, let you know. Thank You.

5. dougl5

dougl5 Thread Starter

ALRIGHT shadow!! right on the money. There were 2 old modems with several instances of 1 hiding, and following your suggestions, I am now in business!!!!!!! Thanks both of you with your help, I very much appreciate it!! Now, to narrow down some strings to speed it up a bit...:)

6. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

just to add.

the easiest way to speed up your connection is to disconnect every phone connected to the line your modem is connected to. So if you only have one line. Disconnect all your phones. It always makes at least a little difference.

I personally have a switch to disconnect all phones before I go online.

Cable modem service is finally in my area so I won't have to worry about phones for too much longer:D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice