1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No comm with Scanner

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robebcan, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robebcan

robebcan Thread Starter

Suddenly my computer no longer sees my scanner.

It is a Canon MP130 all-in-one printer/copier/scanner. Amazingly, the printer works just fine, so there is no issue with a disconnected cable or bad USB port. But if I select "Scan" instead of "Print" then I get the error "Cannot communicate with scanner. Check cables and try again....blah blah blah."

I'm using WinXP Home SP3, and have recently changed my firewall to ZA and my Anti-Virus to Avast, after using Spybot S&D to clean my computer. I uninstalled ZA and Avast, but got the same result with scanner. I ran Advanced System Care 3.5 and CCleaner (the latest) also, and then rolled back to earlier restore points with no success.

The scanner works just fine on my laptop, simply by unplugging the cord from my desktop and plugging it into the notebook.

Any suggestions ? Any other info you need to know, in order to help, please ?
    Thanks

2. robebcan

robebcan Thread Starter

Here's an update on the problem.

The Hardware Device Manager shows a yellow exclamation on the Imaging Devices _ Canon MP130. The error states "Windows cannot start this device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)."

In troubleshooting, I uninstalled the device and did a clean reinstall.
    Same result.

I then Uninstalled the USB Composite Device, disconnected for 20 secs, then reconnected.
    Same result.

It seems that there is a Registry problem, right ?
    BEFORE this problem arose, I had used Advanced System Care. After this problem, I used CCleaner.
    I have returned to much earlier Restore Points, but the problem remains.

Why would a Clean install not fix the problem ?

3. robebcan

robebcan Thread Starter

Another update.........the computer does not "see" my webcam or Nikon camera either.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice