1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No comments allowed on Photos

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Hondadriver, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hondadriver

Hondadriver Thread Starter

Recently I scanned a gazillion old family photos and wanted to add comments written on the back of each picture to each of the JPEG files. After right clicking each scanned jpeg, clicking Properties, then selecting the Summary tab, I added all of the above information, click APPLY, click OK and bingo... nothing. It looks like it all worked but if I go right back into the photo properties, summary, all the fields are blank. This would be a VERY useful feature for me if it worked. Any ideas?

The tech support guy at HP told me ytou can't add comments to a JPEG file because it's compressed - well that doesn't seem right, why would Microsoft offer the option if it's not possible? He added that you can only save comments to a BMP file, which I found impossible because there is not SUMMARY tab allowing you to add comments.

Help!

HP Pavillion xt963
    Windows XP Home (OEM)
    1.2 ghz, 256mb ram

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

You are right. This option should be available and in working order. I added comments, opened the jpeg in Notepad and saw them there immediately.

Have a look around for some other jpegs. See if you can add comments to those. If you can, there is something wrong with your other files.

3. Hondadriver

Interesting - I tried JPEGs from my digital camera and from other various sources - no JPG files will retain comments. I tried something called an ACF file, it held the comments. Encouraged, I tried several ".exe" files, they ALL retained the comments. So why not any jpegs?

Before someone asks, yes the attribute box for HIDDEN is unchecked. Checking it makes the comments area unaccessible.

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I am not sure. Let's try re registering the dll responsible for the Summary page as a start.

Go to start>Run and execute this command:
    regsvr32 shimgvw.dll

5. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I have been changing comments while running file and registry monitoring programs. From what I can see, a temp file is created by Windows explorer when the information is written. But why only jpgs not working? That suggests something is going on in the way of a specific restriction somewhere. I can't find anything pointing to that.
    You said:
    I don't have any summary pages for these file types. I am not sure why you would?

6. Rockn

Rockn

I suspect you have the files on an NTFS partition and a permission isn't set correctly or the file itself is set to read only.

7. Hondadriver

OK, ran regsvr32 shimgvw.dll successfully, no change.

I tried the ACF file just because it was there an dthe icon suggested it was some kind of picture, which it was not.

I remain stumped.

How can I determine if the files are stored on an NTFS partition?

8. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Go to start>Run and type

chkdsk
    Press enter

This will run a chkdsk on the drive. The first line will tell you if it is FAT32 or NTFS. "The type of the File system is"

Also, if you have NTFS you have more security options for folders etc.
    Did you reboot after registering the file?

Another thing to try is a System File check:

Start>Run

type

sfc /scannow

You may be prompted for your install disk.

ACF files are the Search Companion Character files.

9. Hondadriver

Well, I ran chkdsk, the file system is NTFS. No problems found.

I then ran sfc /scannow, it finished with no errors and no request for the install disk, which is good because HP didn't furnish an install disk - they run some kind of system backup on a separate partition.

No, I did not reboot after registering the file, but I have subsequently shut down and restarted the machine this afternoon and still no difference.

Where might I find these security options for folders? What should I look for?

10. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I am not sure what is interfering with this. It is a very basic Operating System function. Shell32.dll and Explorer.exe are involved.

Try some basic maintenance and see if it helps.
    Internet Explorer first. Go to Start>Run and execute this command:

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\inf\ie.inf

Reboot. See if it works. If not, and you should probably do this next part anyway......

Please go here and Download Spybot Search and Destroy. Here's a link to a page with instructions and a Download for the program is at the bottom of the page:

http://tomcoyote.org/SPYBOT/

After running Spybot, reboot and run it again.

After you have finished with Spybot, please go here and Download HijackThis. Follow the directions on the page to create the two logs and please post their contents here.

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

11. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I found several more registry entries and one more dll. But after unregistering the dll, the summary page disappeared altogether. Your problem is not about a disappearing page. The reg entries don't look to control the behavior you describe. But let's try a re-register anyway.

Start>run
    regsvr32 docprop2.dll
    Press enter

And registering the shell again:

regsvr32 shell32.dll
    Press enter

12. Hondadriver

As requested I downloaded and ran Spybot, rebooted, ran again. Then downloaded Hijackthis, ran it, and here are the logs:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.91.2
    Scan saved at 6:55:08 PM, on 2/18/2003
    Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page=http://www.google.com/
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page=http://us3.hpwis.com/
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPGamesActiveMenu] C:\Program Files\WildTangent\ActiveMenu\HP\Games\ActiveMenu.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [checktime] c:\program files\HPSelect\Frontend\ct.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CloneCDElbyCDFL] "C:\Program Files\Elaborate Bytes\CloneCD\ElbyCheck.exe" /L ElbyCDFL
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CloneCDTray] "C:\Program Files\Elaborate Bytes\CloneCD\CloneCDTray.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ADUserMon] C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADUserMon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Iomega Drive Icons] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Deskup] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\deskup.exe /IMGSTART
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Acme.PCHButton] C:\PROGRA~1\HPINST~1\plugin\bin\PCHButton.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Iomega Backup Scheduler.lnk = C:\Program Files\Iomega\Iomega Backup\dtsc.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: KODAK Picture Transfer Software.lnk = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger (HKLM)
    O12 - Plugin for .bcf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPBelv32.dll
    O12 - Plugin for .mid: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin2.dll
    O12 - Plugin for .mov: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin.dll
    O12 - Plugin for .mpeg: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin3.dll
    O12 - Plugin for .mpg: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin3.dll
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

STARTUP LOG BELOW:

StartupList report, 2/18/2003, 6:55:27 PM
    StartupList version: 1.51
    Started from : C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.EXE
    Detected: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    Detected: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)
    * Using default options
    ==================================================

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\dcfssvc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\Program Files\KODAK\KODAK Picture Transfer Software\PTSsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADService.exe
    C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
    C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
    C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
    C:\Program Files\Elaborate Bytes\CloneCD\CloneCDTray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADUserMon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Iomega\Iomega Backup\dtsc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Picture Transfer Software\pts.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

--------------------------------------------------

Listing of startup folders:

Shell folders Common Startup:
    [C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup]
    Iomega Backup Scheduler.lnk = C:\Program Files\Iomega\Iomega Backup\dtsc.exe
    KODAK Picture Transfer Software.lnk = ?
    Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE

HAVING DONE ALL THIS, I WILL NOW GO TRY THE THINGS LISTED IN YOUR SECOND MESSAGE. BACK IN A FLASH!

Checking Windows NT UserInit:

[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    UserInit = C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

Autorun entries from Registry:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

hpsysdrv = c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
    KBD = C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
    Recguard = C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
    NvCplDaemon = RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
    IgfxTray = C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
    HotKeysCmds = C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
    PS2 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
    HPDJ Taskbar Utility = C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
    HPGamesActiveMenu = C:\Program Files\WildTangent\ActiveMenu\HP\Games\ActiveMenu.exe
    RealTray = C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
    checktime = c:\program files\HPSelect\Frontend\ct.exe
    CloneCDElbyCDFL = "C:\Program Files\Elaborate Bytes\CloneCD\ElbyCheck.exe" /L ElbyCDFL
    CloneCDTray = "C:\Program Files\Elaborate Bytes\CloneCD\CloneCDTray.exe"
    ADUserMon = C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADUserMon.exe
    Iomega Drive Icons = C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
    Deskup = C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\deskup.exe /IMGSTART

Autorun entries from Registry:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

MSMSGS = "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    Acme.PCHButton = C:\PROGRA~1\HPINST~1\plugin\bin\PCHButton.exe
    CTFMON.EXE = C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe

Enumerating Browser Helper Objects:

(no name) - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3}

Enumerating Download Program Files:

[Shockwave Flash Object]
    InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\System32\macromed\flash\Flash.ocx
    CODEBASE = http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

End of report, 4,787 bytes
    Report generated in 0.047 seconds

Command line options:
    /verbose - to add additional info on each section
    /complete - to include empty sections and unsuspicious data
    /full - to include several rarely-important sections
    /force9x - to include Win9x-only startups even if running on WinNT
    /forcent - to include WinNT-only startups even if running on Win9x
    /forceall - to include all Win9x and WinNT startups, regardless of platform
    /history - to list version history only

13. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Try the other solutions I posted too. See if they help. If not, then please boot to Safe Mode and try to add a comment to a Jpeg. If you succeed, then one of the startup programs is interfering with this. It will be a matter of disabling them one by one until the problem goes away. The last disabled startup will be the culprit.

Thanks for the logs. I'll look at them in a minute and post to let you know if I spot anything odd.

I have to go over this more carefully, but I wonder about the Kodak Picture Transfer service running in the background. Changing it to manual instead of automatic, stopping the service and then trying the jpegs again might be something to try.

C:\Program Files\KODAK\KODAK Picture Transfer Software\PTSsvc.exe

And in the Startup Folder, this shortcut
    KODAK Picture Transfer Software.lnk = ?

14. Hondadriver

Even as you were typing your last response I had completed the other tasks, rebooted, no change.

I also thought of starting up in the diagnostic mode to avoid loading certain programs like the Kodak software and some stuff from Clone CD. Alas, Still no change!

Running out of options yet?

15. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

There are a few startups I would probably disable. But if you have booted to Safe Mode to prevent the startup group and also disabled the Kodak Service Software, I am not sure where to go next. General Maintenance didn't help?

I know of no Restriction offhand to block the summary pages from being recorded. You have something very basic not working. Which means I honestly don't know.

I'll keep trying.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice