1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No compatible cd recording detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dkerck, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dkerck

dkerck Thread Starter

HP laptop Windows XP SP2, sony DVDirect VRD-MC3 External Burner/recorder. Plug it into USB and it shows up under my computer as both a cd/dvd and mass storage drive. I can control it with laptop under eject, won't play audio cds, shows under Device manager, but when I open up sony cd extreme software it says no compatible drive detected. Sony is yet to help. Updated firmware on recorder, I haven't found any drivers for this thing. Answers? thanks

2. tecknomage

tecknomage

Ah, yes, Sony DVD/CD drives. They can be a problem with some software or OS.

For example, my work desktop has a Sony CRX175A1 CD-R which is incompatible with NERO utilities. Had to get another utility to use it.

This is most likely your problem. You need to install a DVD-RW utility that is compatible with your Sony. Whatever you install, check the drive compatibility list first and insure your model is covered. That begs the question, didn't your DVD-RW come with software installation?

3. dkerck

dkerck Thread Starter

Actually the only thing they shipped with it was basic nero 7. They say that this unit is a plug and play.

4. DefConDelta

DefConDelta

Regarding Sony: If it's any consolation....I have a Sony Vaio Desktop. Last year my hard drive crashed so I got out the 3 Recovery Disks I made when I bought the PC. Put the first one in and it said something to the fact that "This Computer cannot use this program" or something like that. I lost all my Media Center stuff and subsequently had to put in a new XP Pro OS.

5. dkerck

dkerck Thread Starter

I will be takeing it back and swapping it out or getting sony to fix it. thank you for the help

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596429

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice