1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No connecting using PPPoE

Discussion in 'Networking' started by exbattery, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. exbattery

exbattery Thread Starter

hi

First of all, sorry for my poor english, it's because i'm hungarian. :)

I'm having exactly the same problem. Just before when the problem apperared i was installing linux to another winchester and tried to make internet connection with PPPoE.
    I tried everything - i'm a beginner in linux - even i changed the MTU, as well.
    Anyways, i couldn't make it so i switched it off, changed the hard drive to the Xp's winchester and guess what, Xp is unable the establish Internet connection via PPPoE.

I thought maybe i had killed the network card but yesterday i borrowed another from a friend and it still doesn't want to work.

So now i'll try to do what you guys suggested and will inform you what happened.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Even though it appears you're having the same problem, please start a new thread when you have a new issue. It's very difficult to keep two problems straight and who's working on what in a single thread.

I've created a new thread for your issue here.

Note: You will need to post complete details of your configuration and your specific issue in this new thread for us to help you.

Thanks for your cooperation.

3. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Please explain what you mean by "changed the hard drive to the Xp's winchester "
    Thanks

4. exbattery

exbattery Thread Starter

Hi from Hungary!
    I have exactly the same problem.
    i tried these 2 comands but the first one (netsh winsock reset catalog) is wrong. At least the prompt says there's no command like this.
    The 2nd is ok, i was able to reset TCP/IP stack. But still not working.
    I don't know what to do, i even changed NIC but it was useless.
    The system says i have Internet and everything works fine...

5. exbattery

exbattery Thread Starter

uhm, yesterdays i posted a reply but today i just can't find it...
    soory, i'm a freshman. :D
    i paste it if it's not a problem.

"hi

First of all, sorry for my poor english, it's because i'm hungarian.

I'm having exactly the same problem. Just before when the problem apperared i was installing linux to another winchester and tried to make internet connection with PPPoE.
    I tried everything - i'm a beginner in linux - even i changed the MTU, as well.
    Anyways, i couldn't make it so i switched it off, changed the hard drive to the Xp's winchester and guess what, Xp is unable the establish Internet connection via PPPoE.

I thought maybe i had killed the network card but yesterday i borrowed another from a friend and it still doesn't want to work.

So now i'll try to do what you guys suggested and will inform you what happened."

6. exbattery

exbattery Thread Starter

Oops, i have already posted to the other thread. Sorry.
    Please John, delete those replies, i'm going to reply here then.

Well, i have two hard drives and as i'm a beginner in Linux i wanted to be as careful as i could and had disconnected the HDD with the XP on it and after this i started to install Linux to the other HDD.
    So i installed it then tried to make a PPPoE connection (with Linux), i didn't make it and was fed up with that so i shut Linux down disconnected the Linux HDD, connected the Xp HDD and after this Xp just wasn't able to make a PPPoE connection. It said there was something wrong with the password or username ( message error 619).
    This was a Realtek NIC. I updated the NIC's driver, then i replaced it to a Compaq NIC and it's still the same. Then i changed back the Realtek and tried those commands wich were suggested in the other thread where the guy had the similar problem like me. (netsh winsock reset catalog, netsh int ip reset reset.log)
    Only the second one was accepted by the prompt but it helped something because now i can make PPPoE connection but when i open a page a little window comes in and says "the explorer cannot open the page".
    That's all. I don't know what to do...

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I merged the posts here.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702449

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice