1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Connection to Internet, but Connection to Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by raydog09, Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raydog09

raydog09 Thread Starter

Hello and good evening,

I literally just got my hp 2000-410US notebook pc laptop and I just connected it to my Belkin router. For some reason, my new laptop would not connect to the internet even though I am connected to the router. I have another laptop which is a hp G42-410us notebook pc but it connects perfectly. I already set up my settings for the new laptop but I am not sure if I missed something during the setup that allows me to use the internet. Does anyone know what could be the problem? :confused:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

By "connected it to ... router" you mean that you can ping the router or access its configuration pages, right?

By "would not connect to the internet" you mean that you cannot ping a web site by IP address, right?

3. raydog09

raydog09 Thread Starter

I am wirelessly connected to my router but I cannot connect to the internet. When the connection is highlighted, it says no internet access. I do not know how to "ping" the website unless you mean type in its name within the browser's adress bar thing

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Do you get internet access with an ethernet connection?

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

5. raydog09

raydog09 Thread Starter

I just recently tried downloading the router's software, that is on a belkin cd, onto my new laptop. It immediately helped big time and I was finally able to connect to the internet. However, about an hour later the connection to the internet was lost, then the connection to the router was lost, and finally the ability to find the signal to other networks was lost. What did I do wrong? Is it a virus just because I didnt sign up for the norton protection plan?

6. pctechguru

pctechguru

What if you take it to a Coffee Bean or some where with free wireless and see if it connects.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1056336