1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No connection to the internet is currently available....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jinesh24, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jinesh24

jinesh24 Thread Starter

Hi!

About 3 or 4 minutes after switching on my computer, this message pops up.

"No connection to the internet is currently available. To view internet content that has been saved on your computer, click work offline. Click try again to connect."

This message gets repeated every half an hour or so.

Though I had an internet connection when I bought the system P4, 2.8 GHz Windows XP SP2 four years ago, CURRENTLY I HAVE NO INTERNET CONNECTION FOR THE PAST ONE YEAR.

I started getting this problem around 3 months back which I had ignored until a friend pointed out the nuisance it was causing.

Searched around in the forums. But the suggestion all applied to those who had active internet connections which I do not have at present.

Thanks in advance.
    Regards
    Jinesh

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Turn off the Remote Access Auto Connection Manager service. Then, open Internet Options, Connections tab, and check the box at the bottom to never connect.

3. jinesh24

jinesh24 Thread Starter

What is "Remote Access Auto Connection Manager service" and how can I access it to turn it off? Thanks for your prompt reply. WOW!(y)

Jinesh

4. jinesh24

jinesh24 Thread Starter

I found out how to access the Remote Access Auto Connection Manager service.
    To start the Remote Access Auto Connection Manager service
    Right-click My Computer , and then click Manage .
    In the console tree, double-click Services and Applications , and then click Services .
    In the details pane, right-click Remote Access Auto Connection Manager.
    It was set to manual by default. When I right clicked it to stop it, the stop option was not there and only start option was present.

There was also the Remote Access Connection Manager which was set at start by default which I did not do anything.

SO how do I proceed from here?

Thanks.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Double-click the "Auto" one and choose "Disable" in the dropdown menu. Apply and stop the service. Leave the other entry alone.

Then make the changes in the Internet Options.

6. jinesh24

jinesh24 Thread Starter

Yes, I double-clicked the "Auto" one and chose "Disable" in the dropdown menu and clicked APPLY. As you said, I have left the other entry alone.

When I approached to change the internet connections, it was already checked to NEVER DIAL A CONNECTION. Here is the picture.

[​IMG] Internet connections.jpg

Meanwhile the nagging window is still coming. What should I do next.

I do not have internet connection as I mentioned before. This posting is done from my dad's computer which has a connection.

Regards,
    Jinesh

Attached Files:

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can you post a picture, or try to find out what is originating the window (or at least provide a good description of what it looks like)?

You may be able to tell under the Aplications tab in Task Manager.

Some program that you have running is probably set to automatically check for updates.

8. jinesh24

jinesh24 Thread Starter

Attached Files:

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

That is the standard message from IE when you try to go to a site when you are offline. What is your home page? It should be blank, or the message will pop up every time you run a browser.

Look at the programs you have running in Task Manager. One of them is trying to connect to the internet, so try to track down which one.

10. jinesh24

jinesh24 Thread Starter

I have 2 browsers, Internet explorer and Mozilla firefox. In IE, the hompage is about blank and in Mozilla firefox, it is about blank. I have no internet connection and therefore I have not been using these browsers for the past one year.

This message will pop up regardless of whether I am using any program or not. This message pops up approximately 3 to 4 minutes after I have switched on my computer even if I have not started using any program and thereafter every 30 minutes or so.

The attached picture may help you to solve my problem.
    [​IMG] task manager.jpg (104.5 KB)

Thanks
    Jinesh.

Attached Files:

11. jinesh24

jinesh24 Thread Starter

Still having the problem.

Any way out?

Thanks.

12. Schurk

Schurk

Hi jjnesh24,

I don't know what kind of adapter you use to access the internet, but there is a good chance that, on a system like you mention, it is an integrated ethernet adapter.

First, look in the devicemanager if there are any problems with your ethernet adapter.

1) To go to device manager: click start->run-> type devmgmt.msc ->[ENTER]
    2) Your ethernet adapter should be under "network adapters"
    3) If it shows up with a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it, there is probably something wrong with the drivers. Enter the windows utility and driver dvd and install new drivers.
    4) Rightclick the adapter -> edit driver software ->automatically pick software

If you don't have the dvd, go the the website of the manufacturer and try and download drivers for that device.

If there is no ethernet adapter showing up at all, it might be that the device is switched off in the BIOS. This sometimes happens due to different causes (it happened to my computer). To turn it on again do the following:

1)Reboot
    2)Enter bios by pressing "Del" after POST (so the BEEP or the screen with the manufacturer's logo)(the key you need to press may differ depending on your motherboard, google around to find out what you need to press to enter the BIOS)
    3)Find the ethernet adapter in the bios. In my BIOS (Asus P5SD2, it was in Chipsets->southbridge, but in other BIOSs it could be in intergrated devices, etc)
    4) Enable the device -> click enter -> enable. Do NOT enable the lan boot rom!!!!!!
    5)this should re-enable the adapter. Press F10 to save changes (or press another button to exit and save changes)
    6)Windows might recognize the device automatically and immediately start installing drivers. Otherwise, you need to do this yourself. You can do this the same way as explained before.

Good luck!!

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

Go to Start > Run, and type:

net stop rasauto

the next time you boot and see if it stops.

14. jinesh24

jinesh24 Thread Starter

With regards to Schurk and Elvandil,

Typing net stop rasauto does not seem to help. The problem persists.

"look in the devicemanager if there are any problems with your ethernet adapter." It looks as if there is no problem. Here are the pictures.
    [​IMG] img 1.jpg (28.4 KB)
    [​IMG] img 3.gif (42.9 KB)

Thanks for the help.

Jinesh

Attached Files:

15. jinesh24

jinesh24 Thread Starter

Still No luck. I wonder what is the problem.

Tried disabling automatically check for updates for all programs I have and still no luck.

This is indeed a very strange problem:confused:

Jinesh

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759326

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice