1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no connection with PC but wireless works fine.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lstbelever, Nov 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lstbelever

lstbelever Thread Starter

Hi there,

Not sure if this should be a networking or a operating system question, I guess it's a little of both.

Here's what's happening. I have a cable modem going to a wireless router. My PC(1) is plugged by wire into the router; another pc(2) and Mac Powerbook running wireless. Everything was running great until roommate was using PC1 a couple days ago. Now PC1 will not connect to anything but PC2 and laptop run fast and fine on wireless. I have cleaned with SpyBot and Ad-Aware, as well as Avg in Safe Mode and nothing comes up (usually that's all I have to do to fix it). I checked winipcfg and my network adapter is there with an ip address but if i release, it will not find another ip to renew. Also tried to restore to a couple days ago, no dice.

Here's where it get's weird. If I click just about any folder (my computer, my documents, my network), I get a fatel errod saying that Explorer has made a fatel error and will shut down. I click okay and it just goes back to the desktop, but doesn't shut down.

Roommate talked to ISP tech support (before i knew about the issue) and they were no help aside form wanting to send someone out, which i know is a waste of time since the connection to the modme is fine and that's all they will touch.

Anybody have any ideas? Computer with issue is running Win 98SE (I know I know...it sucks but i never use it anymore...that's why rommmate was using it. haha).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/416712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice