1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No connections are available for wireless

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fly123, Jul 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fly123

fly123 Thread Starter

My old XPS 8300 worked on a wired connection just fine before. Now I'm trying to set it up on wireless because it has the 1501 wireless adapter but nothing seems to work. These are the steps I tried (win 7 64):

_ started wlan autoconfig and left it on automatic
    _ changed power setting of adapter to disallow window to turn it off to save power
    _ changed power plan setting to max performance for wireless adapter
    _ I had AVG and Avast a long time ago but uninstalled both, so I ran uninstallers for them in safemode
    _ ran sfc /scannow no problem found
    _ ran netsh winsock reset
    _ uninstalled and reinstalled the adapter driver with and without Dell Wlan card Utility, it is up to date
    _ bios up to date
    _ disabled windows firewall

In ipconfig /all, it shows "media disconnected" for all except the first line

I don't know what's left to do, some one please help!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Dell XPS 8300 Desktop PC (support site)

The Dell Wireless 1501 WLAN Half Mini-Card is a very old wireless device, and the last driver for it was released more than 7 years ago.

You should consider replacing it with a more modern and faster internal wireless card or external USB wireless adapter.

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Not sure if it matters but that 1501 wireless card uses 2.4GHz only so your wireless router has to be set up to deliver that frequency rather than 5.2GHz alone.

4. fly123

fly123 Thread Starter

modem has both 2.4 and 5G

5. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Do you see the wireless card under Network adapters in Device Manager and is the driver installed and working ?
    Do you see a wireless icon near the clock at bottom right ? If you do what happens when you click on it ?
    What version of Windows are you running on that PC ?

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I agree with Frank, you are probably better off getting a new USB adapter.

7. fly123

fly123 Thread Starter

yes i see the wireless adapter in device manager and it says device working, driver up to date.
    i see a wireless icon near the clock with a big red X on it, click on it i see "no connections are available" then a link for trouble shoot and a link to network and sharing, same for when i mouseover it
    win 7 64bit pro

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I think you could have a faulty wireless card and I agree that a Usb adapter would be your best bet now.

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    If it's not seeing anything, use the Troubleshooting to see if it detects the wireless card is disabled. You can also check this in Network and Sharing Center.

If it doesn't see anything wrong, then it doesn't seem that the adapter is receiving the signal. Is this a built in wireless, or a card that has an antenna?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229396

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice