1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"No connections are available"

Discussion in 'Networking' started by b41n5, May 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. b41n5

b41n5 Thread Starter

I turned on my Netbook (Packard Bell NAV50, Windows 7) the other day and it would not connect to the internet. Not only won't it connect, but I can't even find any wireless networks, the icon in the bottom right just has a red cross. I'm currently using another laptop which can detect the network and next doors too so it is not a problem with the router. My PS3, phone, iPod etc also all connect fine. I've checked the fn f2 thing and that is definately on and working. Also when i click on "change adapter settings" in "network and sharing centre", it is there and is enabled and has the full green symbol icon but also has a red cross. I've checked loads of threads with no luck. Any ideas?

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

can we see an xirrus screen shot also a device manager screen shot

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
    Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
    Direct link to the program is here http://wpc.475a.edgecastcdn.net/00475A/XirrusWiFiInspectorSetup.1.2.0.exe

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
    if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector/xirruswifiinspectorguide1-2-0.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

Note:
    For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better.

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/

Device Manager
    Post back the results in device manager
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

windows key and pause Key should open to allow device manager to be seen on laptops may need to use windows key + FN key + Pause Key
    if not then

Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
    windows 7
    start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices listed there
    are there any ! ? or X

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here
    Full details are here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

3. b41n5

b41n5 Thread Starter

Ok so I have posted 3 pics here, 1 is device manager, 1 is xirrus on the faulty laptop which just basically says N/A and 1 is xirrus on a laptop that works (the top 1 is mine, the second is my neighbours)

Attached Files:

4. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

lets have a look at the services

post back the following information

Services

We would like to see some status information for each of the services listed below to do this goto

Start> {Run in XP} {Search box in Vista/W7}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:
    SERVICES.MSC
    OR
    Control Panel>
    Administrative Tools>
    Services>

then for each of the servies listed below - Please post back the following status information -
    If the service is Started/Stopped
    and
    If the service is Automatic/Manual

• COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
    • Computer Browser
    • DHCP Client
    • DNS Client
    • Network Connections
    • Network Location Awareness
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    • Server
    • TCP/IP Netbios helper
    • Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations only)
    • WLAN AutoConfig (Windows 7 & Vista wireless configurations only)
    • Workstation

If a service is not running,
    right click on the service
    then click on properties and now check the dependencies.

Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running.

Also to help us identify what may be causing the issue
    Check the event log, there may be clues to what is failing. To do that
    Start >
    control panel >
    administrative tools >
    event Viewer>

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Also, what firewall or security suite?

6. b41n5

b41n5 Thread Starter

• COM+ Event System (for WZC issues) Started/auto
    • Computer Browser Stopped (well it doesn't say started anyway, just blank)/manual
    • DHCP Client Started/auto
    • DNS Client Started/auto
    • Network Connections Started/manual
    • Network Location Awareness Started/auto
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Started/auto
    • Server Started/auto
    • TCP/IP Netbios helper Started/auto
    • Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations only) n/a
    • WLAN AutoConfig (Windows 7 & Vista wireless configurations only) Started/auto
    • Workstation Started/auto

oh and i just have microsoft security essentials

7. b41n5

b41n5 Thread Starter

oh and im not sure what to do in event viewer!

8. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

do you have any trial firewalls like norton , mcafee that came with the PC

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1052059