1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No connections available.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by VarunP27, Mar 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VarunP27

VarunP27 Thread Starter

So i got a new pc. And i cannot see WiFi option in pc or any networks around me. It days no connections available. When i troubleshoot , it says check ethernet cable, which is proper. Why cant i see any networks? I think something related to adapter settings has to be changed. Help! Thanks in advance.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

So you have a laptop, correct ?

Go to Control Panel > Network and sharing center > Change adapter settings. How many adapters do you see? If yours is a laptop, you should 2. One for Ethernet and one for Wireless/Wi-Fi and they both should be Enabled .

Go into each adapter, properties. And check IPv4 Properties. They should say Obtain an ip address automatically, and also Obtain DNS server address automatically.

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi VarunP27, and welcome to TSG.

If it is a desktop PC, it may not have come with any WiFi hardware. If it is a laptop, you may need to turn on the WiFi. Some have an actual button on the keyboard or along the edge of the computer to control the WiFi

What do you mean by "which is proper"? Are you attempting to connect your computer to a network with an Ethernet cable?

Please tell us the the brand and full model number of your computer and explain how you wish to connect to a network as well as what kind of network it is.

4. VarunP27

VarunP27 Thread Starter

I'm talking about desktop PC and not laptop.
    I can see only one adapter , that is ethernet , which is not properly plugged the system says.
    I tried going to adapter properties and then IPv4 properties , but ip address isnt obtained automatically.

5. VarunP27

VarunP27 Thread Starter

B
    By proper i mean that the lan cable is connected properly. Ya i think the pc doesnt has any WiFi hardware maybe.
    I wish to connect my desktop to my home WiFi network. I have a TP-Link router.
    Please get me done with this :cry:
    System specs :
    Ryzen 5 2600
    MSI B450 Gaming plus
    Rx-570
    8 GB ram
    450psu
    Monitor : Samsung LC24F390FHNXZA

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

So, the Ethernet adapter was showing Enabled, and the Network icon in the Systray ( bottom right corner of the desktop) is marked with a red X ?

7. VarunP27

VarunP27 Thread Starter

The bottom right corner has a red X yes at the network icon.
    The ethernet shows unplugged. Check the photo.

Attached Files:

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

The red X means that the Ethernet cable is not connected. Check both ends of the cable. If both ends are snugly plugged in, then change Ethernet cable.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    First step is to install a wireless adapter. Or, if you do have a wireless adapter you probably need to install the proper driver.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice