1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No connectivity despite excellent signal

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Dantana21, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dantana21

Dantana21 Thread Starter

I have been having issues connecting to the internet since Monday. Sunday night it worked fine, but since Monday all I get is the yellow triangle with exclamation point in it on my wireless internet icon. I have tried unplugging the wireless adapter, tried re-entering the password, tried to repair, and finally reinstalling the Belkin CD but to no avail.

I have two separate icons in the system tray that show my internet connectivity, one for Belkin and the other for wireless network connection. This is what they currently show when I mouse over them.

Belkin
    Connect to network: linksys
    Network Type : access point
    Encription : TKIP
    Transfer rate :54 Mbits/sec

Wireless network connection
    Speed: 54 Mbs
    Signal Strength: Excellent

The last two lines above I believe are the issue....excellent signal strength but no connection. There are 4 other computers using the same wireless internet (including the laptop Im currently using) with no issues so it's isolated to this one computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Dan

2. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Having both the Belkin Wireless Controller and Windows Wireless controller on at the same time could cause this. Try turning one of them off.

Not sure how to turn the Belkin off, but here is how to turn off the Windows controller.

Go into Control Panel, Administration Tools, Services.
    Go to the bottom of the list to find the Windows Controller.
    Wireless Zero Configuration for XP, WLAN Auto Configuration for Vista/7.
    Double click on the controller name to pull up Properties Window.
    On the General tab,
    Next to Startup type, click the down arrow and select Disabled from the list.
    At the bottom under Service status click the Stop button.
    Click OK to apply the changes.

Usually the install cd gives you the choice of just loading the drivers and using the Windows Controller, which is what I did with my Belkin USB adapter.

3. Dantana21

Dantana21 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help dlsayremn, I tried your suggestion and am still having issues. Ive had both the Belkin and Wireless controller on at the same time since I got this computer 6 six years, never had any issues.

Could the problem stem from malware/virus?

Also, each time I try to repair the connection it gets hung up at renewing the IP address before saying the network could not be repaired due to IP address not being renewed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1075845

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice