1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no control panel or my computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gaftop1, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gaftop1

gaftop1 Thread Starter

friend decided he was going to clean up his xp pro computer amd xp2400 abit kd7 board 512 corsair pc 2700. ran spybot, registry first aid, and adaware. fixed everything they found. then he went in and deleted stuff he didn't recognize. rebooted got to desktop screen no icons and that was as far as it would go.
    did a non console xp repair. now goes to desktop but can't get into control panel or my computer probably others. will open other programs.
    In safe mode will open control panel and my computer.
    any suggestions before i reformat and reload.
    he also deleted his nvidida dual monitor card and cd rom will not auto play now and won't load drivers from explore cd.
    hhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllppppppppppppppp :confused:
    ps how do i make a screen shot to show the eror message i get
    thanx

2. nanino

nanino

In very similar starting conditions-i.e non existent icons in control Panel,blocked programs,vanishing desktop icons- i succeeded in re-establishing perfectly working conditions in a friend XP Pro pc by running from Run > SFC /Scannow with XP CD inserted into the slot.
    After 40 minutes,a reboot, and 57 file problems corrected,all was ok again.

3. gaftop1

gaftop1 Thread Starter

running scannow as we speak. fingers crossed .
    thanx for replying so fast

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you did a "repair" reinstallation you don't have System Restore available, which would have been my first suggestion.

But you say this issue does NOT occur in Safe Mode... In that case I would try clean boot troubleshooting:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310353

Also you should try locating .cpl files in the system32 folder and opening them directly. Those that do not open are faulty and may be related to programs whose files have been damaged or deleted. You can reinstall those programs, if they are desired, or just delete or rename the .cpl files for them and see what happens.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313808/EN-US/

Also, be advised that based on the steps you have taken so far, you owe Windows Update a visit and will probably have to install any updates subsequent to the original installation.

5. gaftop1

gaftop1 Thread Starter

checked task manager processes and have 0's all the wasy except for system idle process cpu is 99. clicked "my computer" and after 10 minutes it came up. enabled all in startup but only 2 show up in task bar. think something is stalling everything .
    disabled everything in startup and desktop comes up with no icons.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Can you get internet access, enable everything and run and post a log from HijackThis?

Create a new, permanent folder for HijackThis and save the file to that. Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

Direct HijackThis download link: http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe

Disabling everything under the "startup" TAB should not result in loss of Desktop icons. I assume you left Win.ini, system.ini and "load system services enabled?

You CAN try disabling all NON microsoft services -- there are instructions to do that in the link I gave.

But for now I'd like to see a scanlog with everything enabled if you can.

Have you tried looking for invalid .cpl files in the system32 folder?

7. gaftop1

gaftop1 Thread Starter

thanx for trying got an error about microsoft bios driver missing. after all the repair stuff and everything decided to bite the bullet and reload. hated to but i've been tracking and disabling and enabling restarting shutting down waiting and doing it ever since 9 am got tired of it. gonna take his computer back to him tomorrow and slap his momma for daring to have such a butt.
    then again maybe not will take it back calmly and say i'm sorry couldn't save it.
    then next week he'll do it again or somebody else in the neighborhod will and they'll come a running. not that much fun knowing enough to be dangerous and have the neighborhood think you're some kind of doctor guru. it all started with putting a cd burner in a neighbors computer. oh how i rue the day.
    rant over .
    thanx for your help really appreciate it.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Sorry to hear that and I can understand your frustration in not wanting to deal any further with it. You're certainly welcome for the efforts.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329311

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice