1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved No default gateway nor internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SirDreko, Sep 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SirDreko

SirDreko Thread Starter

Hello everyone!

Not so long ago, my girlfriend had a power outage and after that, her net never returned.
    I've been looking to find the cause of the problem, thinking it was only Comcast network that had died for a little moment.
    The internet was lost yesterday around midnight. It gives no Wifi Signal, nor ethernet, so I am guessing it is not only a computer problem.

So I checked around the internet to find what could be the problem. Since I cannot be there physically to check it out myself, I had to monitor her. Suposely unplugging, waiting 30 seconds, and replugging the power into the modem did not do anything. The lights are on, and seem fine.
    Plugging the modem straight into the computer also dosen,t work.

On the computer itself, there is no default gateway, and when she tries to type ipconfig /reset, it gives an error message: "An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket."
    So I was thinking maybe it could of been a Winsock error?

I'm rather confused of what to do right now to solve the problem.
    Thank you very much for your consideration and future help!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is the following summary of my interpretation correct?

She has Comcast internet service, a modem and router or a modem/router combo, and no more than one device (a computer) with ethernet or Wi-Fi capability.

When connecting an ethernet cable between modem (or modem/router?) and computer does the ethernet LED light on the modem? On the computer?

In Device Manager under Network Adapters does the ethernet appear as "OK"? Same question for the wireless.

It would probably speed trouble shooting considerably if another device could be used to check the router's ethernet and/or Wi-Fi or if the computer could be tested on another network.

3. SirDreko

SirDreko Thread Starter

There are multiple devices, such as a couple cellphones ( Family members ), another desktop computer ( Someone else ) and she also has a laptop. They all used the internet before, but now it is down.
    She also has a Modem plugged into a Router, yes.

All lights on the modem are on, only the Link light is flashing in orange
    Here is the link to the modem model.
    http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/device.php?devid=292

All lights on router are also on.
    The ethernet light also lights up on the computer.

For the wireless, when checked on the laptop, it appears and also is displayed as 5 bars, but it actually does not work and no internet signal is transmitted.
    When the wire is plugged into the laptop, in the Device Manager, is says the Ethernet cable is working properly.
    EDIT : Also tried to go from Modem -> Computer, and Modem -> Router -> Computer, but none of them works.

Sadly, I think there are no other networks to try the computer on, but it seems to be a problem that no devices can recieve the internet signal.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What has Comcast said? Can they "see" the modem from their end?

Can any of the devices connect to the router via Wi-Fi? Via ethernet? If so, does the router's WAN (Internet) section have a proper IP, gateway and DNS?

5. SirDreko

SirDreko Thread Starter

Comcast said they can see the modem from their end.

No other devices can use the router via Wi-Fi, neither via Ethernet.

Little Edit : The Laptop does not show ANY Default Gateway ( Via CMD and ipconfig ) when not plugged to the Ethernet ( The line isn't even there )
    And also, thank you very much for your time and help! I hope we can fix the problem quickly

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If by "use" you mean "connect to" then they need a new router; unless a reset to factory defaults brings it back to life.

If a computer connected directly to the modem (after power cycling the modem) cannot get a working connection then the modem is also fried, or else Comcast is tracking the MAC Address of the device connected to the modem and they need to use the right computer or have Comcast reset that.

7. SirDreko

SirDreko Thread Starter

I am guessing it's all about the modem then, but it dosen't seem dammaged or anything... And also, what is this MAC Address you're talking about? I am not quite familiar with it. And by device connected to the modem, you mean the router, or the computer itself?

Edit : Might probably buy a new modem, just in case. We tried it on another connection and it seems fried.

Thank you very much for your help and cooperation, it was really appreciated and helpful!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

9. jhayz

jhayz

Your router might have a Clone MAC address feature. The modem needs to generate a new MAC address while modem to router to wired computer is connected in setup router page. Some ISPs require this usually on their modems going to a dedicated router.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!