1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no desktop no start button

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by purk, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. purk

purk Thread Starter

Running windows XP ( daughters computer)

Issue: No desktop, no start button. get task manager and can run programs through that. Have virus scanned with no results.

Found that explorer.exe is not running. try to run through task manager and get an error...windows explorer.exe cannot be found.

I am between a beginner and an intermediate user in terms of knowledge so offer help in smaller steps please.

Thanks

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Try Safe Mode start on F8.
    It should give you a choice of admin account. If it does and that is the admin account created when it wa installed the password is usually blank.
    See if that will work.

3. purk

purk Thread Starter

tried that. same issue. no icons.

Based upon my readings, I need to get exploere.exe to run. I can find it using REGEDIT but do not know how to get it to run.

4. SilverSurf

SilverSurf

Hello purk

I don't know which version of Internet Explorer you are using, however you would probably resolve your problem by clicking on the link below to download and install Internet Explorer 8 which will include the missing or possibly corrupt file.

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/internet-explorer/thank-you.aspx

Regards Silversurf

5. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

On another computer running XP, if you can access one. In Windows folder in the C:/ Drive.there will be 3 explorer types. Copy the one with the Computer moniter as the icon. Go back to your computer and paste it in the same windows file. Then with task manager, open New Task... and type in explorer.exe. If you have previously tried to do system restore, It may pop up saying that it has failed. Just press close.

The same result can be achieved from msconfig, opened from the run cmd in task manager and then expand file. However you then need to repair from the XP CD if you have one or the restore files.

SilverSurf
    Unless I have misread it, its Explorer.exe not Internet Explorer

6. vicks

vicks

have you tried starting in safe mode, selecting "last known good configuration"?

vicks

7. SilverSurf

SilverSurf

Hello Macboatmaster

You are of course correct. Blind as a bat and twice as stupid. My apologies.

Regards Silversurf

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/957500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice