1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No desktop on startup

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by lawolfe, Feb 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lawolfe

lawolfe Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3227U CPU @ 1.90GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3911 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, -2012 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 108824 MB, Free - 28981 MB;
    Motherboard: Acer, Hummingbird2
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

------------------------------------------------

A couple of weeks ago, I was having a problem where my desktop would not appear upon startup, as well as minor functionality was lost. Here is a link to that thread:

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-8/1142743-no-desktop-explorer-start-up.html

And a description of what was happening at the time (description copy and pasted from thread):

I think my impatience may have gotten me in trouble. I have a pdf of a book on my laptop but it didn't have bookmarks, and because of some error messages I'd gotten last week I uninstalled Adobe Acrobat Pro XI with the intention of reinstalling it later. So I go to just install a trial version just so I can complete this one task, and it seemed to me that the installer got stuck, so I tried to cancel through task manager and it finally closed. I restarted the computer to end the old installation process, but when it came back to the user sign-in screen, I signed in and it took an unusually long time to sign me in. Once past that, I was expecting the desktop to appear but only blackness. I touched the touch pad and the pointer appeared onscreen but that was it. I have to open the task manager using ctrl+alt+del, right-click a program to get to explorer, then proceed to use whatever I need like normal. Just NO DESKTOP.

This was earlier today. After a little while (I don't know how long as I wasn't keeping track of that) the desktop and explorer just came back while I was online. I didn't do anything special that I'm aware of. Now just recently, my battery died because I forgot to plug it up and since it was shut down and I had to sign back in, it has done the same thing as before. A long time to log in, and only a black background with no desktop or explorer. I also can't scroll. I have to manually scroll a page by tapping the up/down arrows in anything with a scroll bar. I've also since installed Acrobat and it's working fine.

EDIT: My desktop finally appeared @ 0927p. I logged in at @0824p (after this, I learned that if I left the computer on long enough, the desktop would finally appear, usually over an hour later and it would work like normal.)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Since then the problem has been resolved but I was advised to post here to be sure all traces could be removed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice