1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no desktop or programes or personal files etc!!

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by alexkerrblack, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alexkerrblack

alexkerrblack Thread Starter

hi all. got a virus which has totally screwed my pc up.
    all icons are gone off the desk top. in the start menu, all the program folders say 'empty' and i can't access any of my music, or pics or anything. it's a windows 7 system.
    i've read a previous post which sounds like they had the same problem but wasn't sure if i could use the same process. a message with the windows logo (though it looks fake) comes up asking to scan the drives which i naievly did. it said it removed some but it told me to purchase the full version to get rid of the rest. i haven't done it, obv. cos i think its a bit fishy. also, every so often loads of error msgs come up saying 'windows - delayed write failed' 'failed to save all the components of file //system32//000001d3 the file is corrupted or unreadable. this error may be caused by a pc hardware problem' lodas of these pop up with different file names, all starting with //system32//
    have nothing backed up and i need the pictures for work. desperatley!
    thanks to any that can help.
    Alex

2. Larusso

Larusso

Hi and welcome to TSG.

I am reviewing your topic and will respond with a reply as soon as I can.

Please note that all my replies are reviewed by a qualified Analyst before I post. This ensures that you will continue to receive quality expert assistance.

Thank you for your patience.

3. Larusso

Larusso

Hy
    my name is Daniel and I will be assisting you with your Malware related problems.

Before we move on, please read the following points carefully.
    • First, read my instructions completely. If there is anything that you do not understand kindly ask before proceeding.
    • Perform everything in the correct order. Sometimes one step requires the previous one.
    • If you have any problems while you are following my instructions, Stop there and tell me the exact nature of your problem.
    • Do not run any other scans without instruction or Add/ Remove Software unless I tell you to do so. This would change the output of our tools and could be confusing for me.
    • Post all Logfiles as a reply rather than as an attachment unless I specifically ask you. If you can not post all logfiles in one reply, feel free to use more posts.
    • If I don't hear from you within 3 days from this initial or any subsequent post, I will have to unsubscribe from this thread and move on to assist someone else.
    • Stay with me. I will give you some advice about prevention after the cleanup process. Absence of symptoms does not always mean the computer is clean.
    • My first language is not english. So please do not use slang or idioms. It could be hard for me to read. Thanks for your understanding.

You are right, these errors are fake.
    First I have to look what is going on on your system. Regarding your missing files, they are there but hidden. We will take fix this later. :)

[​IMG]
    Download DDS and save it to your desktop from here or here or here.
    Disable any script blocker, and then double click dds to run the tool.
    • When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
      1. DDS.txt
      2. Attach.txt
    • Save both reports to your desktop.
    Please post both in your next reply

Please post in your next reply
    dds.txt
    attach.txt

4. alexkerrblack

how do, Dan?
    fortunately i've got it fixed now - had to get some one out cos was desperate. he basically went into safe mode then found the viruses and got rid then un hid everything.
    on a lighter note though, i'm trying to format my notebook. just want to get rid of everything and start again. i've got my xp disk and was told that it would give options to delete everything through the set up but i could only format one partition and not the main one. i know there is a way of doing it but i've forgotten. any ideas?
    cheers again,
    alex

5. Larusso

Larusso

Hy there

A question such as this is better suited for the techs in our Windows forums: http://forums.techguy.org/21-windows-xp/

Here are a few tips for further prevention.

It is vital that you keep your system up to date
    • Please enable Automatic Updates to keep your system up to date.
    • Windows Updates
      • Win XP: Start --> Control Panel and double- click on Automatic Updates.
      • Vista / 7: Start --> Control Panel --> System and Security --> Windows Updates
    • Software Updates
      Your installed Software also can have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system.
      To keep your installed Software up to date I recommend File Hippo.

Anti Virus Software
    • Make sure to have one Anti Virus programme installed and update it on a regular basis. It is useless with out of date definitions.

Additional Protection
    • Malwarebytes Anti Malware
      The freeware Version is an on demand scanner which will check your system for malware. Update it once a week and run a Quick Scan. You can also buy a licence which offers more features.
    • WinPatrol
      WinPatrol takes snapshot of your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without your knowledge.

Safer Browsing

Use an alternate browser
    Other browsers tend to be more secure than IE as they do not make use of active x objects. Active x objects can be used by spyware as an infection point on your computer.
    Note: If you use Firefox you may want to have a look on this Add Ons.

Computer Maintenance
    Clean out your temp files on a regular basis -I recommend TFC ( Temp File Cleaner ).

Thinking while surfing
    There is no software which will protect your system from yourself.
    I have included some security related articles that I advise you read through in your own time. These articles will give you tips and advice on preventing infection, and how to stay safe whilst browsing the internet.

If you have any questions kindly ask.

Please respond to this thread one more time and click on the MARK SOLVED Button at the top of your first post.

6. alexkerrblack

cheers dan.
    i'll post the other querie in the other forum. i've taken heed and hopefully won't have the trouble in the future. :eek:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!