1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no desktop sound or DVD sound

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by buzzy, Nov 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buzzy

buzzy Thread Starter

I have no desktop(ex. startup, prompts or shutdown, etc.) sounds or DVD sounds from speakers or sub-woofer. CD player sound works along with the sound used in games. No error messages have appeared. Have checked all volume controls and there O.K.

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

Hello and welcome to TSG...

Please check this: RIGHT click on My Computer and choose PROPERTIES. In that window choose the DEVICE MANAGER Tab. Are there any YELLOW ! listed?

Everything should show a + by it in the list. Post back and we will go from there.

3. buzzy

buzzy Thread Starter

Thank you for responding.

All + signs are showing, but I don't know what you mean by YELLOW.

4. Emtronics

Emtronics

If all the + signs are showing, then so far so good. I was looking for a little yellow "!" beside one of your devices. This would mean that something, like the soundcard wasn't working properly. Since you didn't see any yellow exclaimation marks (!) then so far so good.
    If you can play a CD in your CD Rom and you hear sounds when playing games, then I wonder if the sound events for windows cleared itself. Try this, START/Settings/Control Panel then choose the Sounds icon. Look and see if there are any sounds assigned to your 'start windows' and 'shutdown windows' in the schroll. There should be a picture of a speaker by the event and you should be able to sample each event sound by clicking on the "play" button. Does this work?

5. buzzy

buzzy Thread Starter

The little speakers are next to them, but none of those sounds work. When using computer no desktop sounds work.

6. Emtronics

Emtronics

Buzzy, If none of the sounds play then for some reason your computer is not playing .wav files. What kind of sound card do you have? You can find this info by: RIGHT clicking My Computer and choosing PROPERTIES, then clicking the DEVICE MANAGER Tab and then clicking the + by VIDEO, GAME, and CONTROLLERS. Your sound card should be listed there. Is this in Win98 or WinME? What kind of computer? Have you installed some software before this happened or did this problem just showed up? If you loaded a "player" (like Winamp) and then removed it, it could be simply a file association problem with .wav files.

You could remove your soundcard (not physically) from the Device Manager and then reboot and let Windows find it and set it up again but BEFORE you do this, some more info is needed on your system. Do you know if your sound is onboard ( built into the motherboard ) or a seperate card?

Please post back with your answers, thanks.

7. buzzy

buzzy Thread Starter

I started having other problems also, so I used my GO BACK feature and reverted my drive back two months and now everything is working.

Thank you for your time. I very pleased with this web site and would use it again.

Buzzy

8. Emtronics

Emtronics

You are welcome. Glad you got it back up and running. Happy Holidays. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59297

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice