1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No desktop, taskbar, or start menu

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by phoenix68, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. phoenix68

phoenix68 Thread Starter

When i turn on my computer it completely skips over the start menu and immediately goes to where the desktop should be. Instead of my background though, the whole desktop is just black. The tool bar and the side panel will not open. I have been able to find and run most of the programs i use everyday like Skype and the internet through running them with task manager. Please help me fix this problem as soon as possible, thank you!

2. Tabvla

Tabvla

Hi Phoenix68, welcome to the TSG Forums.... :D

To be able to provide you with an intelligent response it is necessary for you to tell the Forum something about your system. The easiest way to do that is to download and run the TSG SysInfo Tool. If you don't want to use the Tool then you should at least provide the basic info re your system, such as...

OS Version
    System specs

and.....

What you were doing before the system went "bad" and what you have done to try and fix the problem.

T.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Please post your system specs, To include Make and model System if Big Box, or same info for the following if custom or home built, Mother Board (including Revision number), Processor (Exact Model Number), Ram, Video Card, Hdd(s), Optical Drive(s), Power Supply Manufacturer Model, Wattage and Amperage on the +12V Rails, OS, and any other peripherals installed on the motherboard.

4. phoenix68

phoenix68 Thread Starter

Ok, now that i have been on my computer for a little over an hour, the desktop, etc. come back but are gone again once the computer restarts. Before the system went bad i was attempting to download java, which i believe is part of the problem. I am running windows 8.1 and i will post my specs once i can find them through task manager. (i am trying).

Thanks for the help,
    -phoenix

5. Tabvla

Tabvla

So why don't you simply use the TSG SysInfo Tool like I suggested....:confused:

T.

6. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

7. phoenix68

phoenix68 Thread Starter

8. phoenix68

phoenix68 Thread Starter

here are the stats
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16333 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M, -1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 381545 MB, Free - 164819 MB; D: Total - 550703 MB, Free - 550543 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., G751JT
    Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated and Enabled

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!