No Desktop when I Start Up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

michael33496

Hi. When I start up my computer, the desktop doesn't come up. It just shows the background. There aren't any icons and there isn't a taskbar. The only way I can run a program is by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete, going to windows task manager (I use Windows 2000), and then clicking File, New Task (Run...).
What could be the problem and what could I do to fix it? Thank you for your time.

I've had this done to me before, so that's why I asked. Here's how I fixed it.

Do Ctrl +Alt+ Del, run a task, Type regedit > go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWSNT\CurrentVersion\ > select Winlogon so that it is highlighted, then on the right side, double click Shell, and make sure the Value Data reads as Explorer.exe.

Restart or log off then back on.... I hope this helps.

michael33496

I tried it, and it already read Explorer.exe. Thanx for your help tho, and if you have any more suggestions, let me know.

Im out of idea's...but try and see if Explorer.exe is still located in C:/WINDOWS...if so Im stumped,...got no clue what could be wrong. Im probably way off of the problem.

Sorry I couldn't help

Nope, just go to C: Drive, and click the WINDOWS folder, then scroll down and Explorer.exe should be there, if not, locate it and place it in there.

Your computer by chance doesn't think you have two desktops, and the second destop is considered the primary? this could explain why nothing shows up on your monitor.

Ohh sorry I wasn't paying attention, you're using Windows 2000.
Im not sure where Explorer.exe should be on that kind of OS.

michael33496

Any more help? I have no taskbar, nothing. I can only run programs by pressing ctrl+alt+delete and hitting run new task.

not sure what is happening here but all the complex answers were gived so i will have to give something simple

did you press the windows key (in betewwn the ctrl and alt)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online