no desktop.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

keebs

hey, when i try to boot up a friends computer with windows 98, windows would lock up when the desktop icons are about to appear and then goes to a black screen. i have no idea what the problem is, has anyone had this happen to them before?

In that case you could try a scanreg /restore.

Boot up in safe mode then click on Start > Shutdown > Restart in MSDOS mode.

At the C:\ prompt type in .....scanreg /restore .... note the space after scanreg.

Select a prior date (but not the oldest).

Click on Start > Run and type in ...msconfig... hit OK.

Click on Start up.

Uncheck every box EXCEPT Scan registry; System tray; Your AV and your Firewall.

Click Apply - OK.

Reboot.

keebs

still nothing, is there anyway i could upgrade to windows xp from msdos ?

If you remain patient someone else will offer their advice.

There are many with vast expertise on this site.

keebs

1069 said:
If you remain patient someone else will offer their advice.

There are many with vast expertise on this site.

i hope =[

Hey keebs,

Do you have a "start-up" floppy ? If not.....try googling one for "windows98 start up disk".....give that a try.

One more thought -

Go back into msconfig > startup and remove the checkmark against your AV and Firewall -DO NOT ACCESS THE INTERNET - DO NOT LEAVE THE SYSTEM UNPROTECTED - this is just to check.

If the condition persists / or is resolved remember to go back and recheck the boxes.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online