1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Desktop

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by pizza_sleek, Dec 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pizza_sleek

pizza_sleek Thread Starter

When I start up my computer all it displays is the background and the cursor. I have rebooted it heaps and still nothing. It won't display a desktop! When I press ctrl+alt+del it does not say i have explorer open! please help! i have a pentium 3 and windows me

2. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

Try right clicking the Desktop then click on Active Desktop and then click Show Desktop Icons.

Hope this works.

3. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    And if that doesn't work, try restoring a registry copy dated the first day you got the empty Desktop. Here's how to do a registry restore with Windows ME,

Power down the PC, insert the Windows ME Boot Diskette in the floppy drive and power on the PC. It should boot to a boot menu. Take the option for "Minimal Boot". Once you have an a:\> prompt type in the following command and press enter.

scanreg /restore

Now use the Up/Down Arrow keys to highlight the registry backup dated the day you first got the empty Desktop at startup and press enter to restore it.

Let us know what happens.

4. deuce

deuce

Do you mean the first day before the lost desktop? (last day of regular desktop) To me I would think restoring to the exact registry would have the same problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice