No Desktop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dontesmama

My son was playing a game on the internet and the computer shut all the way off. I logged him back on and there is no desktop. It shows his screen saver and the bar at the bottom with the start button but that is it. I can not right click either.
Please help!
I have Windows Xp.

Dontesmama

Yes I can see the start button and I can use it
I can not right click at all though.

Press control-shift-escape at the same time. This will bring up the task manager. Click on the processes tab, find 'explorer.exe', select it, then click on 'end process'. Anything left on the desktop should now die.

Back in task manager, from the menu select file, and New Task, then in the requestor type in 'explorer.exe'. See if that restores your desktop.

Dontesmama

I tried that but it did not work.
I found the explorer exe there were several and i clicked on all of them but I still have no desk top. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My son was playing runescape when this happened.

Go to Control Panel > Taskbar and Start Menu and be sure that drag and drop is enabled.

Then, try right-clicking on the desktop and unhide the icons.

I may be wrong, but I suspect that the "son" may have done more than just run a game. Is it possible he did this to you on purpose, as a joke?

Dontesmama

no i was watching him play and i was right there when the computer went off
he is only 8 years old but like i said i was with him and we both were like- what just happened?????

Dontesmama said:
I tried that but it did not work.
I found the explorer exe there were several and i clicked on all of them but I still have no desk top. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My son was playing runescape when this happened.
You had MANY of them....this is troublesome.

YOU SHOULD ONLY HAVE ONE!!

Since you have MANY, kill ALL OF THEM. MAKE SURE they all die. If they do not die, reboot, try again on a fresh boot.

Then sit and watch for a while (5 minutes) to see if any more respawn. If this happens you have malware.

If not, then restart explorer.exe as I stated above.

Does this restore the desktop? If not, please describe in detail what happens after attempting to run explorer.exe.

Dontesmama

What the heck is malware?
I have Norton Virus protection....so why would I get anything?
Also, I can not reboot... I go to Start and click shut down but it won't so I just have to turn my computer off. Is this a problem? I am sure it is! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!
:eek:

Dontesmama said:
What the heck is malware?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware

I have Norton Virus protection....so why would I get anything?
In todays world, Anti-virus solutions are ineffective against modern malware. I won't even bother to explain how ineffective Norton's products are as a 'solution'.

If you need reinforcement of this belief, google will be glad to help :)

Also, I can not reboot... I go to Start and click shut down but it won't so I just have to turn my computer off. Is this a problem? I am sure it is! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!
:eek:
Turn it off. Unplug it if you HAVE TO get it to shut down.

Yes, something is hung, so lets get a fresh boot and go from there. (y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online