1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

no dial tone after disconnect

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by naturewriter, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naturewriter

naturewriter Thread Starter

I have my modem set to redial automatically after a disconnect from my Internet connection. It used to work fine but suddenly began having a problem a few months ago. Now, whenever the Internet connection is lost (whether by a ping timeout or intentional disconnect), there is no dial tone when I try to reconnect (and I get a message "opening port" then "no dialtone"). I have to physically unplug the phone cord from the back of the computer or from the wall and plug it back in, sometimes several times, before there is a dial tone.

A phone company technician has been to my house and says the connection to the outside of the house and inside to the computer is fine. They can hear a hum coming from inside the computer when they hook up some phone techie instrument to the phone slot, though. The technician admitted he knows nothing about computers, so maybe this hum is insignificant.

I have the same problem when I use an external U.S. Robotics modem or the internal BCM V.92 56k modem that came with my Dell dimension 8200 Windows XP PRO computer. Using the XP troubleshooter, I notice that the internal modem is attached to COM3, located at PCI Slot 2 (PCI bus 2, device 8, function 0), but Com 3 does not show up under Device Manager Ports (only Com 1 and LPT 1 are there). I do see PCI bus under System Devices, and the status says "working properly." The external modem uses Com 1, which is also "working properly."

Since the problem occurs with both modems, which are connected to different ports, I have run out of ideas to try.

If it would help, I can do a "Query Modem" and paste in the response.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It really does sound like a problem with the phone line hardware as it occurs with 2 modems.

Do phones hang up OK on the line? What happens if you unplug all other phones in the house?

I wonder about "ground loops" in the electrical system? Unsure of the US power system and grounded outlets, so cannot advise furter on this matter, but it's something that would be common to both modems connected to the PC.

You should not expect COM3 to show in device manager, it is a software generated "virtual Comport".

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!