1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No dialling tone

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kwadukusa, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kwadukusa

kwadukusa Thread Starter

I am using Windows XP Home. I recently had ADSL installed and activated for internet access. Access is by landline provided by the telephone company. However since installation I am unable to obtain a dialling tone or connection for analog dial-up or to send faxes. My analog telephone service (via the same line) is OK and the analog line computer connection also OK. The original analog modem remains as previously.
    I have spent hours going through the various checks, installation wizards etc via Control Panel and everything is reportedly OK and in working order. Nevertheless I can get no dialling tone and consequently no connection.

Any suggestions or answers? Thanks.

2. 1069

Hi and welcome to TSG :)

Am I reading you correctly?

If you have broadband why would you want dialup connected?

3. kwadukusa

kwadukusa Thread Starter

Hi Sunny Wirral(not just now, I bet!)

Reuire analog connection primarily to use fax/voice modem. Also in case I use up my DSL quota.

Thanks

4. 1069

Hi,

Wirral was in fact sunny today ( bit cold ) and the forecast is the same for tomorrow :)

Control Panel > Internet Options > Connection ....there should be a check next to "Never Dial a Connection" when using broadband ....is this the case?

For Dial up the check should be in "Always dial my default connection"

EDIT

Go here and follow info for "Diagnostics"

5. kwadukusa

kwadukusa Thread Starter

Hi 1069, Sorry haven't responded earlier. I have spent much time pursuing every obvious (to me at least) approach to solving my problem, which is primarily that I can't send/receive faxes . Have waded through "Internet Options, Network Connections,Phone and Modems, Printers and Faxes, Fax Wizard." etc. and the many sub menus. I have also replaced my Fax modem since discovering corrosion at a couple of terminals. The indications are that everything is detected, connected and working properly.* Nevertheless when I try to send a fax or make any phone connection, nothing happens, ie there is no dialling tone and thus no connection, even when screen displays confirmatory messages.
    ( I have of course checked the anolog phone line connection).

*exception to above.. In "Modem Properties-Diagnostics-Query Modem" There is an item,
    "Command- AT#CLS=? Response- Command not supported" This is meaningless to me. Is it significant?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537940

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice