1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Diisplay on montor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bobbsto, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobbsto

bobbsto Thread Starter

I recieved all my componenets today and put them together, but first encounted that the motherboard i bought (Biostar NF52OD3) has no VGA port, so there is one problem, so i pluged in my PCI E graphics card that i know works (because i use it on my old computer) via VGA to my monitor, turned on the computer and no display on the monitor or beep on the motherboard.

All the fans and the CPU headsink are working so its not a power issue, i jsut want some display to happen so i can actually put a OS on it!!

Spec:
    AMD Athlon X4 (AM3)
    DDR3 8GB (1333mhz) (4x2GB)
    Raidon HD 4350
    Biostar NF52OD3
    Corsiar CX 430w

2. nickgr5

nickgr5

I'm afraid it might be your PSU. It can only supply 430 watts, which might not be enough to supply all that hardware. Do you have another (stronger) PSU to try with it instead?

3. bobbsto

bobbsto Thread Starter

no but i dont see why 430 wont be enough, on my old computer i used the same GPU an that had only a 340w, i just went on eXtreme power calculate and my spec on my new computer should only need 249w, i even unplugged my fans and just kept my CPU heatsink in an there was still no display :/

4. nickgr5

nickgr5

The new mainboard, along with your new hardware combination might be more consuming. Try unplugging the HDD, one memory DIMM, the DVD-RW and then try to start your computer again.

5. bobbsto

bobbsto Thread Starter

Well i just took out 6 of the 8 GB and the ODD and tried it with and without the HDD and still no input signal :/

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Just because Fans turn, lights light, optical drive drawers open and close does not mean the power supply is providing the necessary power to operate the entire system. Try it with the power supply from your lod system to see if it will power it up. Do this only long enough to verify the power supply is not the problem.

Also go through the steps in this sticky thread. http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/580000-troubleshooting-guide-problem-builds.html

7. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Most likely, either the power supply is defective or the motherboard is bad. Still, when in doubt, you should always remove all non-essential components (for testing purposes that includes disconnecting data cables and power cables to all drives in the system) removing and re-seating your video card and booting with a single memory module installed. If the system still refuses to boot, follow DJ's suggestion to try your old power supply. If everything is OK afterwards, you know your new PSU is bad. If the system still won't post, then I expect the motherboard is defective. Personally, if I were giving odds, I would think that there is a low chance of the Corsair PSU being defective, and a far higher chance of the MOBO being bad. Biostar isn't a premiere brand.

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I am not saying the power supply is necessarily bad. Just that it may indeed not be providing the power need to operate the entire system. From the sounds of it to me, it could well be the power supply has failed. Even with the Quality Manufacturer Power Supplies such as Corsair it is possible for an occasional lemon to slip through.

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    There is also a chance that there may be a short to the Case from the motherboard that could do the same thing.

10. replay

replay

could be something simple as not plugging in the 4 pin power plug....... i think that corsair psu is fine for the componants u have!
    also take out that memory and try one stick at a time
    i have been building with biostar boards lately and am very impressed with them!

Attached Files:

11. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

I agree with everything you say, except that the PSU certainly has enough wattage to POST the system. Unless it is defective. Certainly, even the best brands aren't 100% reliable. Replay does make a good point about power connectors, and that should also include the power connection to the video card. Regardless of replay's experience with Biostar boards, I haven't done a build with one in a decade or so, and I'll never use one again. I ate way too much of their junk back in the day. No tech support, no BIOS or driver updates, no warranty replacements: no thanks.

12. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    What model Athlon II X4 do you have? Is it one of the 6XXe or is it one of the X6xx The former is a 45W processor, the later is a 95W processor.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024733

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice