1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Display and it's not the Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cynicgirl, Jan 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cynicgirl

cynicgirl Thread Starter

Hello everyone!

I'm having a crucial problem because I made the mistake of not backing up my coursework(due very soon) on an additional hard drive.

Basically my PC is turning on but there is no display. This has been going on for a couple of weeks now and me being horribly optimistic and ignorant decided that it was fine because if I kept turning it off and on it would eventually emit a 'beep' and start up. However, today I tried for an hour to no avail.

I've googled everything and people suggested to check the monitor, which I did and my monitor worked fine when I connected it to a laptop. I also took it apart and tried finding the CMOS Battery to reset it or something but I couldn't find any CMOS battery on the motherboard. I think mine is in the real time clock or whatever that means.

The fans run when I turn it on and everything seems to be working, but it doesn't emit the 'beep' any more and there is no display on the screen. Sometimes it turns on and stops, then it automatically goes back on again. Really strange.

Could someone please let me know what might be the problem and the quickest, easiest way to solve it?

Cheers,
    Cynicgirl

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You haven't told us what the brand name and model name and model number of your computer is.
    You also haven't told us which version and bit version of Windows it's running.

Is the monitor screen completely blank, or is it a displaying a "no signal" or some other message?
    When it's connected to your computer and is turned on does it display a yellow/orange light or does it change to a green/blue light?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    Xsage likes this.
  3. cynicgirl

cynicgirl Thread Starter

Oh no sorry, that slipped my mind.

It's a really old model: Acer Aspire M7721, on Intel Core i7 and running on Windows 7.

Its displaying 'no signal' when I turn the monitor on via the main plug. However if I just turn on the PC which is connected to the monitor it doesn't even come on at all. It remains orange.

4. Xsage

Xsage

First Name:
    Dave
    Do you have a second monitor output on your PC?

5. cynicgirl

cynicgirl Thread Starter

Yes I do and I've just switched it over and tried to turn it on.
    Alas the screen remains blank.

6. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Can you confirm this is your PC?

http://uk.hardware.info/productinfo/114398/acer-aspire-m7721-core-i7-930/specifications

I assume the beep you are referring to usually occurs just after you turned the machine on normally? If you are not even getting that then the problem could be a little more significant as that may indicate it isn't even getting to the BIOS which starts up before Windows. This could be a failed power supply (fans can still run if it has failed) or other component(s). We can go through some diagnosis processes but a lot of them involve testing with known working parts which you may not have available.

If you have access to any other machine you may be able to remove your hard drive and install it as a secondary drive on another machine so that you can recover your coursework.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the exact SNID number and serial number(S/N) on your Acer Aspire M7721 desktop?
    Which country do you live in?

I agree with Shane.
    It probably has a power supply issue or some other hardware issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  8. cynicgirl

cynicgirl Thread Starter

Yes, that is the model of my PC. How do I find the SNID number and serial number?
    I am currently studying in the UK but I brought my PC from Singapore with me over 2 years ago.

What can I do if thats the case?

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    That helps. I went to the Acer support site in Singapore and brought up the Acer Aspire M7721 desktop.
    This is the list of drivers for it for Windows 7 64-bit.

Capture.JPG

It has either an ATI (Radeon HD 4850?) or NVIDIA (GeForce GT 230?) graphics device.

--------------------------------------------------------------

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1164068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice