1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No display except safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by mgeorgevich, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mgeorgevich

mgeorgevich Thread Starter

I have an HP pavilion DV6000 and it boots upo fine however with no display. The only time I get a display is when it boots up in safe mode. I don't understand what is going on. All the LEDs work and I can hear the hard drive spinning, it just doesn't display anything. It is Windows Vista.

2. kenny111111

kenny111111

what happens if you press the windows logo key (next to the alt key)?

or the ctrl+alt+del keys at the same time? if you can get task manager open, click file (top left)>new task (run) then type explorer.exe OK

see if that brings up the desktop.

3. mgeorgevich

Still notjing. The screen is still black.

4. kenny111111

kenny111111

reboot and start tapping the f8 key....you should enter "safe mode" back up if able- to external hdd or dvd's we will go from there..
    try and back your files up 1st...

good luck!(y)

5. mgeorgevich

It won't let me back up in safe mode.

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

I think there might be a problem with your graphics driver. When in safe mode, go to device manager, find the video driver and choose update.

7. mgeorgevich

I did that and what is weird is I have an NVIDIA graphics card but it doesn't show up in the Device manager even though I know it is on the machine. When I right-click on display/properties it saya on the top of the window, VGA mode.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!