1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No display...Fried Motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hastings, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hastings

hastings Thread Starter

Hi All,

I recently purchased via eBay an Asus VX97 motherboard. I installed this in a case with a 200W AT power supply, and the board worked perfectly.

However, the fan on my power supply is not operational, so I wanted to upgrade the power supply to a 250W AT supply with an operational fan. Upon installing the supply and powering up, I received no display whatsoever, even though power is being supplied to the board (the CPU fan is operational). Trying another video card in other PCI slots did not change the situation.

I removed the 250W supply and reinstalled the 200W supply with the same results. My question is, did I fry the motherboard? If I didn't (as power is being supplied) what, if anything, can I do? I removed all components and reinstalled the board, as well as trying the board outside the case. I also tried different memory and CPU with the same results.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Matrikx_

Matrikx_

Did you ground your self before you touched the MoBo. Static Electricty can Fry the mobo. Also Does yours PC "beep" when you first turn iton and if so how many times? What version of windows. Are you sure you seated the Video Card well. have you tried a different monitor? what kind of monitor? how old? =) just need more info
    :p

3. hastings

hastings Thread Starter

Hi Matrixx,

Video card is seated, albeit a bit tight, no beeps whatsoever, speaker plug is plugged in. Power, reset LED's and reset switch work. The hard drive starts up normally (as far as I can gather) but ceases operation. I imagine due to a BIOS message that I cannot see due to no available display. Monitor is a Gateway Vivitron 15, starts, then goes into 'power saving' mode; works perfectly on my back-up PC. I did ground myself before handling any components.

Am thinking the 250 is too much for this system. I had the same problem with an Intel P133 board. As far as I can gather, the 250 is a 5V supply, so there should not have been any problems.

Will try switching the monitors with my KDS (the one on my main system). Will keep you posted.

Thanks for your help!

Mike

4. hastings

hastings Thread Starter

Hi Matrikx,

Just tried the other monitor..same result.

Mike

5. olivercoles

olivercoles

You can't have a power supply that is 'too powerfull' for our system as you system will draw what it means from it.

System that uses 220W on a 250W power supply = stressed and hot powersupply that could cause voltage instabilites.

System that uses 220W on a 500W power supply = powersupply coasting along not producing much heat and great voltage ratings.

If the new 250W power supply is faulty and has really messed up voltages or something that could be a problem.

6. 4PM

4PM

Have you tried a new (tested) video card, like say the one in your other pc?

7. hastings

hastings Thread Starter

Hi,

Yes, I tried another video card with the same results as stated in my earlier posts.

Mike

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115945

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice