1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No Display Lenovo Thinkpad

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dillon9, Dec 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dillon9

Dillon9 Thread Starter

Hey everyone,
    I recently ran into the issue that the backlight on my Lenovo Thinkpad W520 for the display wont light up ( i took the LCD and shined a flashlight behind it to ensure that it was being digitized which it was). It worked fine one day until I turned on the laptop and the screen was black. I have reseated all the RAM, bought new cables for the display, a new inverter for the display, and even a new screen. I have unplugged the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS, and tried holding the power button for long amounts of time with the battery and power cord disconnected. Holding the power button down and restarting fixed my Thinkpad T410 when the same issue happened 3 times before, but it wont fix this issue. All of this never happened on the T410 for the 2 years I had Windows 7 on it but now both machines run Windows 10 Pro. I removed the hard drive from the W520 just in case it was a problem with the drive. Also I am testing the screen with the laptop display assembly disassembled. Please help, I am lost as to what I can do.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Does it work on an external monitor? If no, the embedded graphics controller may be the problem.

3. Dillon9

Dillon9 Thread Starter

Yes the vga monitor i have displays once the computer boots up to the login screen.

4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Does it show two Diosplay devices in the CMOS/BIOS Display area. For example:

Boot Display Device: [ThinkPad LCD]
    Graphics Device: [NVIDIA Optimus]

If so, try switching the first one to "NVIDIA Optimus" and then see if you can now see everything, from power-on on up into Windows on the external monitor. If so, that would indicate a problem with the ThinkPad LCD.

5. Dillon9

Dillon9 Thread Starter

I can't switch Display Device to NVIDIA Optimus. When the Graphics device has discrete graphics selected, I can boot up viewing thee entire sequence on the VGA monitor and when I finally get to windows login, the laptop screen becomes digitized so that I can see the mouse but still not lit up with the backlight. The LCD is also brand new .

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  6. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Sounds like the back-light fuse on the motherboard may be blown? If so, a new one can be soldered on top, piggy-back style, over the old one.

7. Dillon9

Dillon9 Thread Starter

Do you know where that can be found on thinkpads?

8. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

On a X220 it was F1 that was blown. There were two other fuses at F2 and F6.

9. Dillon9

Dillon9 Thread Starter

Ok I'll look for them

10. Dillon9

Dillon9 Thread Starter

I found F1. Its under the motherboard under the top right part of the black plastic insulation plastic for anyone else wondering. Do you know the rating of it. I used my multimeter to check if it was good and i couldn't get anything other than open (blown). I just dont knw the fuse rating.

11. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

I believe it was 2.5A, 30-35V.

Happy Holidays!

12. Dillon9

Dillon9 Thread Starter

I did a little research and found that the fuse is either .5 amps at 32 volts or 3amps at 32 volts. Does one of these sound correct?

13. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

I'd go with the 3A, 32V.

14. Dillon9

Dillon9 Thread Starter

Thanks fo your help so far. The fuses are on order and will be coming after January 5. I will let you know when I have them and have tried them out.

15. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Sounds good.

Happy New Year!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1201621

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice