1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No display on monitor when computer boots

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alecworth, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alecworth

alecworth Thread Starter

Well I am frustrated and I really don't understand what is going on.
    I bought this computer about 1 month ago, and have had problems with this computer ever since. So the problem that I have had the whole time, is that the monitor will either lose its signal. At first, it was about 30 minutes to an hour before it just lost the signal. Then, I got some new RAM. Nothing changed, in fact it got a little worse. Next, I bought a new power supply. Nothing changed. Then, I bought a new hard drive. Nothing changed. This whole time, I would try consistently every day to get my computer to work. During that whole time, the computer would lose the signal faster and faster. Then, about a week ago, it wouldn't get past the bios screen. Then today, I received a brand new motherboard. Now there is no display, no matter what. Also, I have tried using my computer without my dedicated graphics card, using the onboard graphics. Same result. Also, before you tell me to get a refund, its too late. I bought this off of eBay, so there was only a 7 day return policy. I am absolutely stumped, I really don't know what is wrong with it. The new motherboard doesn't boot at all, the fans just turn on at full power, and there is no display. I also don't believe that the dvd drive can mess up anything.
    I really appreciate your help,
    Alec

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

You give us almost no information about the computer hardware; I assume a desktop.

Connect the monitor to another computer. This will tell you whether you have a monitor problem or a computer problem.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

When you are seeking help you need to post your system component specs. Motherboard; EXACT make, model and revision (if applicable). Processor; EXACT make, model and stepping. Memory; EXACT make and model. Graphics Card (if installed); EXACT make and model. Power Supply; EXACT make and model. Provide links to the components. Also post the operating system.

If the machine is a mass produced machine such as Dell, Gateway, HP, etc. post the EXACT make and model as there may be known problems with certain makes and models.

No one can diagnose a problem without knowing the EXACT components you used in the build or the EXACT make and model of a mass produced machine.

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Did you buy this computer brand new or used? If new im sure its under some kind of a warranty althought you might have voided it by replacing a lot of things.If it was bought brand new it shouldnt have had any problems at all.And if it was bought used from a computer place they usually give you some kind of warranty also.Either or it shouldnt have all of these problems.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Alex and win2kpro are absolutely correct; you need to post your exact system specs. It is the same thing as saying my car does not work; I replaced the water pump, spark plugs, and fuel injection why does it not work. We cannot tell you until we know what we are working on.

Next you posted you received a new mb. Is this an exact replacement OR is it a different board?

6. alecworth

alecworth Thread Starter

I am sorry I thought that it was implied that they were in the little icon next to my name. Check there, I'm sorry for not being specific enough.

7. alecworth

alecworth Thread Starter

BTW thats my only computer, those specs are for that computer.

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

What is the sSpec # for the Pentium D processor? The sSpec # would be engraved on the processor heat spreader and is a 5 digit alpha/numeric number beginning with SL then 3 digits or a combination of digits and alpha characters. EXAMPLE: SL92W

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025038

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice