1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

No display w/ Abit AW9D-MAX

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SparkandMercury, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SparkandMercury

SparkandMercury Thread Starter

Motherboard: Abit AW9D-MAX
    Graphics: tried both nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX and ATI Radeon
    PSU: Antec SP-500
    Memory: 1x1GB
    HD: Not sure, really old
    CPU: Not sure

I'm puzzled about a problem my desktop computer. I think I've narrowed it down to the motherboard, but I haven't fiddled with my computer in a few years, and I'm really stumped.

I am getting a black screen every time I start the machine. The monitor isn't complaining about having no signal -- it's just a big, black screen, like I normally get when a computer attached to this monitor is asleep. I have tried two different video cards, two different monitors, and two different DVI-A/VGA adapters. When I boot up, my motherboard posts as it should and goes through all of the usual codes until it reaches FF, which is supposedly a good thing.

I have tried holding down "insert" on the USB keyboard while it boots, but this does nothing. (Per advice gleaned from another forum.)

All of the lights are on, all of the fans are spinning, and I have heard no error noises or beeps.

I have tried removing the memory (and got a post code C1 when it was out). I have removed everything but the CPU and rebuilt the machine component by component with the same result.

The machine currently has Windows XP installed, which I was going to upgrade when I got it running. I've forgotten what the CPU is, but there are two of them. The current video card is an nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX, and I previously tried an ATI Radeon. The power supply is an Antec SP-500. The memory is 1 GB of PQI memory. The hard drive is something really old, which makes me wonder if that's where my problem is.

I would appreciate any help or advice you might be able to give me. I am stumped, and I'm not going to try reseating my CPU or anything until I'm really sure that could be it!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since abit has been out of business for a number of years, that is a pretty old mb. The very first thing I would do with something that old is check for leaking capacitors. Get a bright light and see if you have any that look like the pics below. If you do, then you have found your problem. If they look ok, then swap in a known good pw supply for testing.

Attached Files:

3. SparkandMercury

Thank you very much! I took a close look at the capacitors, and they all seem to be intact and normal. I can't afford a spare PSU, right now, but I'll try to get ahold of one and see if that's the problem.

4. gimpel

gimpel

mebe a dumb question, but, how are you reading those post codes with no display? regards... g.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Many higher end boards have a LED on the board itself that will display codes. Epox [my favorite board maker until they went out also] used to have this as well.

6. SparkandMercury

That's exactly where I'm seeing them.

7. SparkandMercury

Funny development. I tried to turn it back on again, just one more time, just to see. Nothing turned on. I got post code 8.2.: "enable ATX power supply." I suppose this confirms that I need a new power supply, eh?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is a good indication however the only way to find out is to swap in a known good pw supply. My guess is the power good signal is out of spec or non-existent.

If you are going to work on systems, then having a test pw supply is almost a requirement.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice